Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1994 dodge my problem is that i start thr car but…

Customer Question
I have a 1994...

I have a 1994 dodge my problem is that i start thr car but it dosent stay on i need to keep pumping the gas but is still has problem staying on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes it has become to be a gas hog

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '94 Dodge?

Dakota

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

I change the fuel pump about 3 month ago

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
3/15/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 month ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. This problem you are experiencing is usually caused by a throttle body that has become coked up with carbon deposits. When the throttle body gets dirty, then the airflow going around the throttle plate gets restricted. This can cause low or no idle and sometimes stalling when coming to a stop, or slowing down and turning. The other thing it may be is an idle motor that is sticking and cannot react fast enough to maintain an acceptable idle. I recommend purchasing a can of spray throttle body cleaner and clean out the inside of the throttle body. Be sure to clean the throttle plate paying attention to the edges of the plate (follow the directions on the can). If you still have this problem, then replacing the idle motor would be the next step.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this,

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer from yesterday.

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman