Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 dodge 2500 pickup. new compressor, fuses fine, but no…

2006 dodge 2500 pickup...

2006 dodge 2500 pickup. new compressor, fuses fine, but no power to compressor. what should I check next.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

I think it was fluctuating because the fan was going off and on. Then it locked up. Broke the Serpentine belt. So we replaced the compressor that was still under warranty and the belt. But now it is not getting power at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have checked the fuses and they all look fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think not.

3/14/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Did you pull a vacuum on the system and try to install freon yet?

6 cylinder cummins diesel

My husband did not pull a vacuum but did add freon. It would not even hold two small cans. Napa said the compressor already had oil in it.

if you had a bad compressor you would also need to change the reviver dryer and orifice tube as there are debris in the system blocking flow now,

But will that cause a power issue?

If it was working fine before there is a flow problem most likely and those 2 items should be replaced then the pressure sensor will see its working and system back to normal

OK, When the first compressor was replaced we also replaced the tube and dryer. Before that compressor locked up the fan would blow and then stop blowing and then blow again later. We then had a vacuum pulled and freon charge done. Still doing the same thing. We thought that the ignition switch might be the problem but, never fixed it. Then the compressor locked up and belt broke. So, we need to replace the dryer and orifice tube when replacing the compressor? If we do that will it fix the problem because it didn't last time.

unfortunately if you have had a compressor failure there are debris in the lines and those components should be replaced again, did you pull apart the last orifice tube and insect to confirm the debris? also if you have a scanner you can check signals to the pcm from the system to check that

I don't have one but I can take it to my brother's shop and he can pull the codes. Now, could there be an electrical issue?

there is one for sure, but its more than likely your pressure switch not seeing any pressure, and when you say fans quit are you talking about engine fan or in cab ?

The fan that blows the air in the truck is what I'm talking about.

thats completely different from the a/c system working, they are not related, so is the clutch not kicking on in the compressor?

I was told no power to the unit

I think at this point if your not able to replace the parts again we need to check what the computer is seeing with a scanner

ok I will and can I get back to you?

yeah thats perfectly fine, this question lasts as as long as we need to get the situation fixed and could last over a number of days, it dosent cost any extra per question or time limit, just the one fee and thats it. So no worries on time

thanks

your very welcome

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
He gave good advice. Thanks for the help.