Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Heater doesn’t get warm just blows cold air. How do I check…

Heater doesn’t get warm...

Heater doesn’t get warm just blows cold air

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

How do I check thermostat and coolant level is full

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2012 Dodge Journey

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I’ve checked Pretty much everything. The heater core may be the issue but I don’t smell coolant or anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Rear heater works but only about 20mins then gets cold

3/13/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, have you felt the heater hoses at the firewall in the engine compartment with engine running and heater on high to see if they are hot or cold

One is hot and the other is cold

HI,

Ok, the inlet should be hot and the outlet should be warm to hot. With it being cold, you need to remove the hoses at the firewall and use a garden hose to flush them out - do it thru one port and then thru the other port.

Reconnect the hoses and fill system. If still blowing cold and the one hose is cold, then the heater core is restricted enough that it needs to be replaced, which entails removing the complete dash

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager