Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 neon with coolant sensor concern. With a scanner, key…

2000 neon with coolant sensor...
2000 neon with coolant sensor concern.
With a scanner, key on engine off, temp is correct.
Key on engine running, temp is incorrect and erratic setting a high voltage code. ECT replaced with OEM and computer has been replaced. Those items did not correct concern.
3/13/2018
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, what's the code number?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PO118 code. Have 5.1 volts key on ECT unplugged. Key on engine off at 127 degrees, 3.86 volts, ECT connected.. Key on engine running,1.34 volts, ECT connected. These numbers are backprobes at the PCM.
Engine coolant temp gauge in dash reads correct until car is started. Read full cold.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With the scanner on data stream, Neon reads correctly at 197 degrees until it is started. Temp drops to 100 degrees and fluctuated greatly.

Thanks for the additional info. I would run through and check the continuity between the ect anc ecm wiring and you can run through the test below. If the wiring checks good it's the ecm.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Continuity between ground and 5 volt reference wire are correct. No broken, chafed, grounded wires. Computer has been replaced with no change.

Thanks for the additional info. Let me open this up to others and see if anyone else may have encountered this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the PDF's. I have All Data so I have the info you have sent along with wiring schematics.
The key to this concern is all data is normal, gauge reads correct, scanner reads correct until car is started. The voltage is incorrect and that is why it sets a PO118 code. Car runs poorly due to the incorrect ECT readings, as it should. Never have seen an ECT temp on the scanner read so erratic.
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** you still need help with this question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jim, car is not repaired.

Here are the test you can make.

There is a weird condition that can affect the engine CTS and possibly the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor circuits. It relates to one of two areas. The Cruise control "Mux" circuit and the Downstream Oxygen (O2) sensor circuit.

One area to check is the cruise control "Mux" circuit at pin 41 on the C2 connector of the PCM. This circuit should never go over 5 volts. If there are voltages higher than that the clockspring or the wiring harness should be checked for a short to voltage.

The other area of concern is the Downstream Oxygen (O2) sensor. Test the voltage at pin 51 of the C2 connector. This circuit should have a 0.1 to 0.9 voltage on it when the engine is running. If there happens to be battery voltage on this circuit for any reason, the coolant sensor circuit and the air temperature sensor circuits can be affected.

In either case, battery voltage on these two specific pins of the PCM can cause "false" problems with the affected circuits. Repair the short to voltage as needed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One question. Values stated for a backprobe or disconnected ecm?
The downstream oxy read 1.127 with car running.

These readings are car running back probed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jim,
Circuit 41 cruise control "MUX" is within specs at .151 volts car running back probed.
Circuit 51, downstream Oxy sensor is reading battery voltage. Discovered the sensor has been replaced. Unplugging sensor did cause any change as battery voltage is still present. I am confirming is was on the correct circuits for pin #51.

There should not be 12 volts on pin 51.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jim,
Had the wrong connector at ECM. Pin 51 is the Tan/wht on connector C-2. Battery voltage with car running, .550 volts with car running and O2 disconnected. Sensor wires have been stressed and one looks bare. Going to pull it out for examination. With the down O2 sensor disconnected I have correct CTS readings, engine running. I believe this is the problem. I would have never looked there for the problem. Thank you!

I think you are on the right track. It is my goal to give you 5 star service, so please give me a 5 star rating before leaving the site today.

Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Jim
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician