Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Key wont turn. The wheel is unlocked, key might be worn. It…

Customer Question
Key wont turn Mechanic's...

Key wont turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

The wheel is unlocked, key might be worn. It ran yesturday

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

98 ram 1500 5.2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took the plastic cover off where the ignition switch is. the key dings when you put it in but won't turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can i hot wire it. where getting 20 inches of snow now and i need to move the truck

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/13/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and ready to help

Chrysler products have a lot of issues with their ignition switches so you will have to replace it. You may be lucky it is just the key part so you can remove that part then use a screw driver to turn the switch. I found a video that makes things faster and easier to explain and follow for this issue.It explains how to separate the cylinder from the switch so you can use a screw driver to turn the switch to get you going , I will send you the link to this video. Hope this helps for now and good luck.