Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 dodge durango. Turn it over and it just

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 dodge durango. Turn it over and it just cranks. I let go of key and key comes back like it should but cranking continues until I turn off the key. Doesn't sound like starter is engaging flywheel to me. Changed starter, relay, and ignition switch. This happened 1 time every 200-250 turns. Each time turned off, restarted and it went off without a hitch. Went into the desert for the day. Very slowly in deep holes. It was after that however that it would not work. I'm thinking now wiring? Could it be crankshaft sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It is in Park. I'm not certain about wheel lock. I don't believe I have tried in neutral for sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

Starter, relay, and ignition switch. Yes I have been working on it so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How to fix:)

3/13/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

the crankshaft will not stop it from turning over ,it will tun over but want start ( we loose spark when ckp sensor is malfunctioning ) , you are saying when this happens , we have no starter engagement correct ?

click on link to view the starting system in it , notice how the starter has , PCM connection on pin #86 ,it grounds the circuit to activate starter , you have replaced pretty much all expect the pcm and TRS switch , my experience with them is the pcm or the wiring to it ,

in some cases , the Neutral safety switch on transmission , these will be the 2 areas i suspect ?

unplug the pcm connector check the pins ,get some crc electrical contact cleaner and spray connection, look inside the pcm connector any backed out pins ,burned pins ?

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW PCM ,LOCATION AND RR , NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH AND WIRING CIRCUIT

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat