Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We have a 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew cab with remote…

Second opinion] We have...

Second opinion] We have a 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew cab with remote start. Our truck has approximately 98,000 miles. It has just began starting up and running on its on. The key fobs are laying on the dresser in the bedroom and the truck starts and runs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

We replaced the batteries in the fobs when this first started. The truck continues to start and run.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We would like to fix our selves.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We checked all fuses in the TIPM and found all to be okay. One additional problem, is the engine dies without any notice while slowing down. This has been very dangerous.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Do you have an aftermarket remote start system or the factory installed one.?

Which brand of remote start is this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Factory installed. The remote start is activated with the key fob. As far as what brand, I am not sure. I do not have the key fob with me now. My son had to leave for work and will not be back until tomorrow evening.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The key fob has a hidden key inside. One must depress the door lock button and then depress the start button twice.

Thanks for the reply. There are currently no known issues like this, for the factory installed remote start system. I would only be able to offer guesses at this point so I will opt out and maybe another expert has seen this before.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You could have a few things going on and it may require some testing at the time the problem is happening to determine exactly what is going on. It's possible that you have an issue with the wireless ignition node, but I would first suspect one of the keys is transmitting when you aren't pressing the buttons - not uncommon. What I would recommend is removing the battery from each key when the truck is parked and see if the problem goes away. If so then put the battery back in one key or the other to see if the problem comes back or not, this way you could determine which is the issue.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. We have had the key fobs out of town and have had received calls that our truck was running and the electric windows rolled down by themselves. We are depressing the button for the bed light each time we get out of the truck. This action deactivates the remote start feature. We are not sure if a neighbor may have fob or some device.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08