Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2015 dodge ram 2500 6.4 hemi Laramie. Transmission

Hello my 2015 dodge...

Hello my 2015 dodge ram 2500 6.4 hemi Laramie

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Transmission overheated sgut truck off now will not restart

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Everything good power, fluids etc the transmission was in 4 so I'm trying to get home but got caught in slow traffic going up hill which caused to overheat than just shut off mechanic cleared all codes now still not cranking over nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sitting at dealer trying to get home

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/12/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, were you towing something when it overheated? Now it wont crank over or it cranks over normally but wont start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No my transmission 4 came on as long as I stayed above 35 flowing good but got backed in traffic going up a hill at 5mph and transmission overheated light came on few seconds truck shut off got it towed to mechanic they clearwd all codes and still will not start trying to get home to take to dealer closer to home
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Truck powers fluids good battery etc does nothing no click or anything push button to start nothing

Ok what type of codes were cleared beside overheating codes? Does the truck have a tuner installed? Does the shifter indicate park or neutral and wont crank in either gear, but the dash lights up like normal? Have you checked the transmission fluid level and condition? What do you mean the transmission 4 came on, you mean it would be stuck in 4th gear?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4 the gear, fluid is good everything is stock, tried starting in park and neutral nothing cash interior everything powers up normal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They disconnected battery and cleared as well
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Transmission overheat still comes on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's been 4 hours

Ok, so they cleared codes, what codes were stored, since it still indicates the transmission is overheated it should still store codes. The fluid doesnt smell burnt or is low? How many miles are on the transmission?

Do you hear the starter try to click or engage? Does the engine turn over by hand using a ratchet or wrench/not locked up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Havnt done anything else have someone coming down to check starter, no click or sound transmission codes and overheat cleared
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
130k miles

Ok but you said it still shows the transmission as overheated. Its a question of if the transmission is locked up and not allowing the engine to turn or if the transmission fluid temperature sensor is bad and showing the transmission is overheating. It should still allow the engine to run but in a fail safe mode where the transmission shifts hard and usually only has reverse gear and one forward gear. There is a TSB for issues with the torque convertor causing premature failure and needing replacement. Since the engine shut down is the main issue. Depending on what other codes are stored may tell more if you have access to a scan tool and are able to look at live sensor data to see whats going on with the temperature sensor and the starter circuit. You should be able to jump across the starter motor for it to crank over.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will let mechanic know when he gets here in about 2 hours

Good luck. If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech