Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

CHANGED RIGHT REAR CALIPER BECAUSE IT SIZED, NOW CANNOT

CHANGED RIGHT REAR CALIPER...

CHANGED RIGHT REAR CALIPER BECAUSE IT SIZED, NOW CANNOT BLEED CALIPER AND BRAKE PETAL GOES TO FLOOR WHEN ENGINE IS STARTED. THIS IS A 2004 DODGE LARAMIE WITH ABS.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried cleaning and oiling the brake pedal's pivot under the dash?

IT HAS ADJUSTABLE PEDALS

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Dodge?

2004 DODGE LARAMIE 1500 WITH ALL OPTIONS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES. CHANGED OUT OLD CALIPER WITH NEW CALIPER. WHEN TO BLEED THE CALIPER AND NO FLUID COMING OUT.

3/11/2018
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician

Hello, I am Randall. 4x4? and, did you open any other bleeders on the truck?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NOT A 4X4 AND NO DID NOT OPEN ANY OTHER BLEEDERS

bear with me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WITH ENGINE OFF AND DOORS CLOSED AND KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION THERE IS AMPLE BRAKE PETAL. START ENGINE AND BRAKE PETAL WILL TO THE FLOOR.

I am working on relay answer. Back shortly. Takes a few minutes to do this. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK NOT GOING ANYWHERE

ok, since no bleeders were opnened, master did not go dry , your bleed does not seem to work, you need to move onto a gravity bleed. It is a sure fire way to bleed BUT it take a bit longer to perform,You never touch the brake pedal. It is actually Dodge preferred method. so with that? follow this very close and do exact.

Have patience, It is not going to happen real fast

Take the lid off the master and leave OFF

Top off fluid and leave cap OFF

Go to the new caliper and open the bleeder. and leave OPEN

Walk away, find something to do :) wait at least 10-15 min and then look to see if any fluid coming out of caliper even if bubble, If not, wait another 10-15 min but at all times watch fluid level. Do not let run dry,

Once you see fluid dripping? let it drip say 5 min and then tighten bleeder. Top off fluid then? pump up brake pedal

It may be you have a spool valve in ABS stuck off to one side and gravity bleed is now required otherwise one would have to take to shop for scan tool hookup and settings to bleed.

I am confident gravity bleed will work BUT take more time, sorry for that but it works

Please rate my service provided using the rating stars on your page.
Rating now doe NOT close this post.
You can still come back to me after leaving a rating for me.
This is only for JA to track my service, Thanks. Randall

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK WILL DO

ok.Please rate my service provided using the rating stars on your page.
Rating now doe NOT close this post.

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK WILL DO. WILL RATE NOW AS IT GIVES ME A DIRECTION TO GO
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM. I RECEIVED A CALIPER FOR THE RIGHT SIDE NOT THE LEFT SIDE.

umm, no way for me to know that , sorry, in any case anytime a caliper is changed? sure it will fit BUT the bleeder must be up near top of caliper, close to bottom? it would never bleed. I am sorry for the delay as I went offline on break for a bit, Did you change it and bleed ok?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not your problem its mine. did not watch which caliper I ordered and never paid attention to where the bleed was located. so I now have new rear calipers!
thanks again!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok replaced the right rear caliper with the correct part. problem now is that i cannot get fluid to the caliper. reservoir is full and gravity bleed it for 40 minutes. no fluid. any ideas or direction to go on?

i received notice from ja about this post, I never saw your reply.I have no idea right off, Have you tried pedal bleeding again? are you 100% the caliper failed or could this be going back to say abs problem

oh,, and now BOTH calipers changed? I was understanding you only changed one of them from the beginning. This changes things a bit

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we are still talking about the right rear caliper. It sized and i replaced it with a new caliper. what i did not realize is that they gave me a LEFT caliper not a RIGHT caliper. I could not get the wrong caliper to bleed as the bleed valve was at the bottom. when i put the correct caliper (bleed valve at the top) on the right rear it would not bleed (no fluid coming out of bleed valve). now, do we have an ABS issue or a master cylinder issue or what??

I am going to be offline till around 1 pm eastern today. Meantime I has asked if you are 100% the caliper did seize or possible caliper is/ was ok and we have a fluid delivery issue? and, did you retry pedal bleeding? this is just odd no fluid out of that one caliper. Did you try bleeding the other rear caliper as that could trigger the spool valve to recenter and allow bleading the Right rear

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
from what i'm told, there is a "valve" on top of the "punkin" that delivers fluid to both rear calipers. when a rear caliper seizes it stops fluid going to the seized caliper. to "respool" it, either do a gravity bleed on both rear bleeders or use a vacuum pump attached to the side that seized. this would center the "spool". How true I have no idea ---yet.

Finally back home, I asked if you did a bleed on LR yet and then go RR, have you tried this NOT gravity bleed? do the left then RR pedal bleed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for late comeback. Working to live and working on the truck does not leave time to write.
Here is where I am -
There is no fluid going to rear wheels. Gravity feed did not work. All lines are open no obstruction. Master Cylinder is good. Power boost is good. Which leaves ABS? (it is a 4 wheel ABS).
Can the ABS module cause the problem?
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician