Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 with 6.7 diesel 4X4. Im trying…

I have a 2011 Dodge...
I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 with 6.7 diesel 4X4. Im trying to do the fuel return flow test. What is the best way to get at that banjo bolt behind the fuel bowl ? I cant even see it or get my hand in there. The diagnostic sheet is no help. It says just do it. Thanks.
3/11/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Yes, don't you love how they just say "do it"!

There isn't really an easy way to do this, but I think you'll have the most luck by removing the inner splash shield from the fender and going in from the side. The inner splash shield is just held in with some 8mm screws and a few plastic "christmas tree" type fasteners.

I hope that helps, let me know if you need anything further. Thanks.

Ok. The tranny cooler lines are in my way too. If I dislodge the midway secure point will I cause leaks moving them around ?

No, you should be just fine to move them around.

I talked to the diesel shop here in town. I was going to get them to do the return flow test. The mechanic there said I was nuts and to bring the truck there and he will diagnose it. What do you think he was going to do ? I have diagnostic equipment.

Thanks for the reply.

OK, well nothing beats actual testing so good on you for trying to do the return flow test. This is a mandatory test whenever a fuel system or injector issue is suspected.

There isn't a magic wand he's going to use so he may just be a cocky mechanic that figures he knows everything, hard to say.

The fuel bowl looks like 3 bolts holding it on. Can I undue those 3 bolts and move it a little bit without fuel going everywhere ? I’m really have a hard time here.

You sure can. The 3 bolts are just holding the housing in place.......there isn't any fuel associated with them so you can move the housing if you need to.

Ok. Going to try that.

Sounds good.

I did the test. Only 110 ml running the cummins fuel override test. Does that sound too low ?

Thanks for the reply.

That's a good test result. The max is around 200-210ml, so your readings are a good pass.

that could mean that a injector is leaking into the cylinder then right ?

Into the cylinder or externally into the crankcase.

Ok. So I should pull all 6 and send them in for testing then right. ?
That's your best bet.
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Thanks for your help.
When I remove or install the rockers is it ok if they have the pressure on them ?

You bet, that's just the cam lobe putting pressure on them, totally normal.