Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2003 low fuel light for my Ram 1500 5.7L comes on at 1/4…

My 2003 low fuel light...
My 2003 low fuel light for my Ram 1500 5.7L comes on at 1/4 full and I am out of gas at 1/8 of a tank. Is this a fuel gauge problem?
3/11/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. When you turn the truck of, does the gauge go to empty? Also, when you turn the key to the on position, does the fuel need sweep the whole gauge? If not, then the issue will be in the cluster. If the needle does sweep the whole gauge, then the issue is going to be the gauge sending unit, which is apart of the fuel pump itself. In order to correct this issue, the fuel pump will need to be replaced. Here, I am attaching the electrical information for the circuits along with testing and description and operation of the system. The most probable and common cause is the fuel pump assembly.

An easier way to determine this issue, is to have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes with a scanner that can access that module.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed

The fuel gauge does not drop to empty, it goes to 1/8 of a tank. The needle does not sweep the gauge. Once when I was
looking at the gauge right after I shut the truck off, it suddenly went from 1/8, then I heard a "click" and the gauge dropped to empty. I also ran out of gas on the highway last week.

I understand that the gauge will only go to 1/8 while you are driving. Just so that we are clear, the gauge will only sweep when you first get in the vehicle to the on position. This is a check for the cluster. Also, the need should go to empty when the vehicle is turn of and the key removed. Are these the conditions that you have checked them in?

If the needle doesn't sweep the gauge when you first turn the key to the on position, or the needle doesn't go to E with the vehicle off, then the issue is in the instrument cluster and the cluster will need to be replaced.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for the answers provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician