Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Here’s the story. We bought a 2005 Ram 2500 had a 5.9l

Here’s the story. We...

Here’s the story. We bought a 2005 Ram 2500 had a 5.9l cummins engine in it. The engine was already pulled and was put in the bed when we purchased it. It was the complete engine(turbo,wiring harness, ecu, etc). We then went to purchase a 2006 5.9l that was in a fire. We heard this engine run before the guy pulled it for us so we know it runs. We out the 06 engine into the 05 truck with the 06 harness and 05 ecu. When to fire it up and nothing. We then changed everything to the 05 em, 05 harness and 06 engine. Tried to start it, would crank but would not turn over. We also do not hear the fuel pump kicking on. We are not 100% sure that the 05 computer is from our truck originally since it was not running when we bought it. I hooked up my OBD2 scanner to the truck and it was saying that it could not link to the vehicle. Does this sound like an ecm issue? Maybe something where the ecm is vin locked and not letting the fuel pump turn on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

There are no spark plugs on diesel engines. Fuel pump is not getting any power

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yup fixing it ourselves. Tried pretty much everything and found out there is no power to the fuel pump. We are not sure that the ecm we are using is the correct one for the truck. Does that sound right?

3/11/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Ok. Thank you
This does sound like an ECM problem, or that ECM is not being powered up. What we need to do next is to see if there is the proper powers and grounds at the ECM connector. When I get home in about 30 minutes, I will pull up the wiring diagram and send you a picture of the ECM connector. Then you can use a 12 volt test light or a volt meter to check for power at the connector's terminals. Be back with that asap
Ok, now lets say we are getting power to everything, and we still having the issue, would we need to get the ecm flashed or get a new one that can be vin locked to my exact truck? And if so do you know of anyone that can do that?
Well first of all, if you were getting power to the ECM and the ECM is good, then your scan tool should communicate with it, so that is why I want you to check the power and ground first. Now if the scan tool can link to the ECM but it still won't start, then it may be a security issue and you may need to get a "fresh" ECM.
Ok, I know you said you need to get home first but can you recall if there is a separate ground strap coming off of the ecm? I know all model years are different

I am now home and at my laptop. Yes there is a ground strap, but that is only there to reduce RFI (radio Interference). Not needed for the ECM to operate. Okay, give me a few minutes to find that connector. It will be for the 2005 ECM. Be back asap.

Chris

Sounds good. Thank You. I also forgot to tell you earlier that we had the truck at a diesel company and they got the truck to start by running a jump wire from the ignition to the fuel pump. I don't know if that helps you at all.

Hmm, Okay, then if that is the case, this is not a security issue (which is good) because if it were a security problem the engine would still not start even if the fuel pump was jumped. I have place the connector pin out information in that link below. It will open up in a Word document. You can then print out and take it out to the truck. I have marked the terminals to check in bold. The connector to check will be the 50 way one (slightly smaller one) Be sure to have the key on when checking the ignition run feed terminal, and also since those terminals are so tiny you may have to insert a small paper clip or stick pin into the terminal and then touch the pin with your test light or volt meter. Good luck and let me know what you find.

Chris

Ok, so where do I go from there? What if all the terminals are good and I get a reading from them? and what if I don't?

Well then based on what you told me about the fuel pump, we will need to check that circuit from the ECM back to the fuel pump and see if it is a wiring issue or if not, it has to be the ECM.

Chris

Ok, so if I go and check those terminals how can I talk to you again later today?

Absolutely. My wife and I will be at church for a while, and may not reply right away, but will eventually. Even if you were to rate my service, I can and will continue to help you as much as you need .

Chris

Ok, that would be great. Do you think it would be good to check all of the other grounds on the engine too?

Sure, can't hurt. Better to be thorough.

Chris

Awesome thank you. I won't rate you yet so once I check all of this stuff I can come back to this page and talk to you.

You are welcome! I will keep an eye out for your reply later today.

Chris

Hey Chris, so we checked the pins you told us to and it doesn't look like we are getting power to the ecm. Also as we were looking at the connector it looks like who ever had the truck before us butt connected every single wiring coming out of the smaller connector on the ecm
We also checked all of the fuses and they are all good
Just check, we are getting power to the fuse box, next thing we are going to do is check if the fuse box is spending power to everything. We have heard dodge is known to have fuse boxes go bad.

ok, well we are getting somewhere at least. Are you sure your test light or meter was making contact with the terminals in the ECM connector? Just want to be sure.

Chris

Im not 100% sure but we also used a paper clip which went down into the terminal a lot farther and still didn't get anything from that.

Ok, then that is good. You were making contact then. I am going to see which fuse(s) supply voltage to the various terminals. be back asap.

Chris

Ok

Looks like there is a single fusible link coming off of the fuse box that supplies power to the 3 BAT + terminals at the ECM. Check that link. If you pull on it and it stretches then the wire inside is burnt.

Chris

Ok looking at that wire is it supposed to be red? And is this fusible link right under the box?

Not sure. I think it may be gray in color, and should be connected to the same lug on the fuse box that the positive battery cable is connected to.

Ok. Ill go check now

Ok

I do not see that wire

I have a 2003 5.9. Let me go out and see if mine is the same. Be right back

Sounds good

Ok, on mine it is attached to the same post that the driver's side positive battery cable is attached to. It is blue, then after the link section, it is Red and then goes to a connector which is in the harness going down to the ECM. I took a picture of mine. Hopefully yours is the same. Click on the link to see the picture.

Chris

Mine does not have that. Wonder if that could be our issue?

That's possible. Look around, maybe it just did not get connected up to that post.

Chris

Hate to say it but I'm not seeing it...

Do you see a connector near that area that does not have anything plugged into it?

There is a connector near it that also has a what we believe to be a ground strap near it. Give me a couple of minutes and I will try to get you a picture of it

ok

I am looking at the 2005 diagram and although it is a similar circuit, the 2005 does not have a connector like my 2003 has.

Hmmm, that looks just like mine! Okay, let's jump 12 volts to that connector. See if she will start.

Chris

How do we do that?

Get a medium (14 gauge) wire and put a female connector or alligator clip on one end, clip that to the connector you found. Then connect the other end to that positive battery cable post at the battery or at the fuse box stud. Then see if it will start.

Chris

Ok, Let me see if I have that stuff and ill let you know how it goes

Ok, you can always just have someone hold the wire to the terminal an battery post just as a test. I will keep an eye out for your reply later.

Chris

We tried it with the alligator clips and it did not work. We tried starting it a couple times.

Ok, leave those alligator clips connected and now go back down to the ECM connector and see if there is power on terminals 20, 30, & 40. There should be power there now.

Chris

Ill go try it now

Ok

Does yours have a ground wire coming off of that connector?

No. It is just a single spade connector just like yours looks.

Ok. Looks like ours has a ground coming out of it. If you look at the pic I sent earlier it’s the wire that comes up towards the camera

That looks just like mine and no ground. besides this is not a ground issue. Do you have voltage now on 20,30,and40 at the ECM connector with your jumper wire connected to that terminal and battery?

Chris

We are about to try it

Ok, and just FYI, the ignition feed is powered from fuse # 50 in the fuse box, so be sure to double check that also.

Chris

Ok we did that and we got power to everything except terminal 32. And we check fuse 50 and it was something with the transmission. Nothing with the ignition
Ok. Let me research terminal 32.
Ok thanks
You had the key on when checking terminal 32 correct?
Yessir

Fuse 50 is for transmission controls but is also for ignition on feed to # 32

If we can get power to # 32 I bet it will start.

Chris

do you think there is a short in 32?
IN that wire?

Maybe, but if it were a true short to ground, the fuse # 50 will be blown.

Chris

Hmm ok. So what should our next step be?

Let's probe those tiny little test tabs on top of fuse # 50. Turn the key on, and probe both tabs. There should be voltage on both tabs. If there is, then the wire between that fuse and the ECM connector is broken somewhere in the harness and the harness will need to be replaced, or opened up and repaired.

Chris

Ok. We need to have that connector hooked back up with the alligator clips again when we do this correct?
No not to check that fuse, but you will need to hook up the jumper wire again when it comes time to try and start it again.
Ok. We checked both tabs. Only one had power..
That means that the fuse is blown. Replace the fuse, reconnect your alligator clip wire and see if it will start.
Chris
I’m confused we pulled the fuse out, and stuck our tester inside of the fuse box and touched the two metal tabs in there and only got power on one side of the fuse. How does that tell us the fuse it self is bad?
No leave the fuse in place. Look on top of the fuse. There are tiny little test tab/points on top of the fuse itself. Probe those tabs with the fuse installed and the key on.
Chris
Oh ok. We actually had to call it a day since it’s dark. Is there any way that I can contact you on any other day to try and solve this problem? I feel like we made a ton of progress with you today
Of course you can. I am on line pretty much every day from about 6:00 am to 9:00 pm Pacific Coast time. I do work at a Dodge Ram dealer from 7:00 to 4:00, and during those hours I cannot always reply back right away, but do have my smartphone with me and will keep an eye out for your replies throughout the day. I will usually reply back during my morning break and lunch break. I also think that we made some good progress and are close to solving this one! Have a good evening and I will talk to you tomorrow.
Sounds good. Thanks!
My pleasure!
Hey Chris, i don’t think I will have time to work on the truck today or tomorrow but I was wondering where that connector is supposed to go that we are jumping power to. Does it go over by the fuse box somewhere?

Yes it does. As a matter of fact I currently have a 2005 5.9 Cummins in my shop and that connector plugs into another connector that has the fuse link in it. It then connects to that post on the fuse box. Get back to me when you can.

Chris

Chris

Oh ok. I’ll have to check the engine bay but I don’t recall seeing that at all. Do you know a name for it so I could look it up? I’ll try to do some research
It is actually incorporated in the positive battery cable for the driver's side battery. Go to your Dodge Ram dealer they can look it up for you.
Chris
Ok will do
I will try to get you the part number of the cableChris
That cable part number is 56000976AB.
Awesome. Thank you!

My pleasure!

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with the truck.

Chris

Called the dealership yesterday. They said they will get me that cable in a week or two. Haven’t had time to work on it. Might have some time today but if not we will definitely jump back into it tommorw afternoon
Ok, no worries. Thanks for replying back!Chris
Thank you! You’ve been a major help. Hopefully we can get this thing running!
I think we can. By the way, were you able to test that #50 fuse yet?
I did not have a chance yet. I’m going to try to test it tonight
Ok. Because we have to have that ignition circuit feed at the ECM before it will start. Keep me posted.
Chris
Yup. Will do. Thanks!!
Thanks.
Hey Chris just wanted to let you know that we are going to test the fuse with it in the fuse box here in a minute
Just checked we have power to both of the tabs on top of the fuse 50

Ok, then the fuse is good. Now if the # 50 fuse is good, yet there is no power on terminal # 32 at the ECM connector, then there is an open circuit in the harness between te fuse and the ECM # 32 terminal. I think that there is a large C130 connector near the fire wall. Take a look at that connector closely. That ignition feed circuit runs through it.

Chris

Yup. We are already one step ahead of you haha. We already did that and we already checked for continuity from the connector by the firewall down to the ecm and that is good. We also check from fuse 50 to the firewall side of that connector but that was not good. So we are wonder does the wire go from the fuse box to the ignition switch to the firewall connector to the ecm? And is so could it be a bad ignition switch?

Good! No it goes from the fuse box(fuse 50) straight to that C130 connector. It comes from the ignition switch and then to the fuse. So if you have power on the fuse with the switch on, then the switch is good. The break has to be either inside of the fuse box, or between the fuse box and C130 connector.

Chris

Ok. Is there a Connector on the bottom of the fuse box that we can pull and see if it the wire or the fuse box?

Yes actually there are several connectors. That is probably a good idea to check next. Check all of the connectors and look for the Pink wire with a Gray stripe.

Chris

Sounds good. I’ll go out now and check. Do you think it would be easier to unbolt the fuse box to do all of this?

Yes it would be easier to unbolt it and pull it up. Let me know what you find!

Chris

Will do!!
Do you have any idea to take the fuse box out? I only see one bolt to take out but it’s still in there
Hey Chris do you know which connector it is under the fuse box? We are only seeing a pink wire with yellow (maybe gray) strip
Let me check that when I get home from work.

Okay, it is connector C4, terminal 10. Click on the link to see it.

So I was thinking, If you can jump 12 volts to that black connector (like you did the other day, and 12 volts to our Pink/Gray wire up at the C130 connector by the firewall, I bet it will start. That would be a good test anyway. Just a thought.

Chris

Ok that would be great. So whenever I used the continuity tester at terminal 32 and when up to the engine side of connector 130 I saw what Pin it was and found the corresponding hole on the firewall side of the c130 and looked at the back of that connector and it seems to be a white wire with a green tracer not a pink/gray wire. Could I be wrong or do you think the white green wire is the correct one.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. According to the diagram it is Pink?gray on both sides of the C130 connector. Something is not right there. Maybe that's the issue. Wrong harness on the firewall side or ?? Do you see any Pink/Gray wires on the firewall side of the C130?

Chris

I saw one wire that was pink and possibly gray possibly yellow. It was pretty hard to tell. Do you think that could be it?

Possibly, see if there is power on that wire with the key on.

Ok. We are done for the night and I won’t be able to work on it tommorw but if I do work on it Saturday that will for sure be the first thing I do. Thanks!!

Sounds good my friend! I am ready to call it a night also. Have a good day tomorrow and I will keep an eye out for you this weekend. Have a good night!

Chris

By the way, where are you located?

Sounds good! We are in Pittsburgh, PA. So we are battling the cold as well haha

Oh boy, I do not envy you. I am in Northern California (Sacramento area) and it is a balmy 49 degrees here. Take care and will check with you this weekend!

Chris

Oh wow. Sounds wonderful haha. Talk to you then. Have a good night!
You too!
Hi Chris, we are planning on working on the truck this afternoon if the weather stays nice. By any chance do you have the diagrams for both sides (ecm side and firewall side) for the a130 connector? I’m thinking it may help to see if this white/green wire is correct or if I’m not seeing the pink/gray wire
I should be able to get the pictures of the connector to you when I am on my morning break.
Chris

Click on the links to see the C130 info. Good luck today and let me know how it goes.

Chris

Awesome Thank you. Will do!
OK, so looking at the diagrams the circuit we are looking at is the F202 20PK/GY correct? If that is so it is terminal 13 on the C130 connector. Looking at it, its a pink wire. Sound right?
Ok, so we tested for continuity from the fuse box connector to the c130. That was good. We then test I from the c130 connector to the ecm connector. That was also good. So then we hooked up the c130 connector and tested t=from the fuse box connector to down to terminal 32 at the ecm. That was not good, so we are not getting at good connection at the c130. We noticed it was a little loose so we giggled it and messed around with it to see if we could get our light to light up. Still nothing. We looked at the pins, they seem to look good, no corrosion and they all look the same. Any suggestions?

Hmmm, maybe a bad crimp on one of those terminals. Try jumping across the C130 with a test wire. In other words cut away some insulation on the wire going into the one connector and the wire coming out of the mating connector. Then use your test wire with alligator clips to connect the 2 wires essentially bypassing the connector's terminals. Now recheck it from the fuse box connector down to the ECM connector. Let me know.

Chris

Ok, we will try that in a little bit here. I know you said that is should be a pink/grey wire but it is a pink wire coming out of #10 on the fuse box connector. Does the pink wire sound correct? It looks like that is what is going in and out of the C130 connector too

Pink is almost always a color wire associated with an ignition on feed, so it should be correct.

Chris

Ok, good. We will test that and I will let you know.

Sounds good! Keep me posted!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hey Chris, sorry I haven’t really had time to look at the truck. We should have some time to look at it this week. Just wanted to keep you posted

No worries. Just get back to me when it is convenient for you.

Chris

Hey Chris, so the c130 connector wasn’t together all the way. The latch on it was broken so we used some electrical connector cleaner and zips ties to make sure it was right and it worked. The truck ran today. Thank you so much for all of your help. We got the truck two years ago today and it stated on the anniversary. You have been such a huge help i can’t thank you enough.

That is awesome news! So happy I was able to help you guys out with this. Thank you again for accepting my answer and if you need help in the future, please ask for me!

Chris

Will do. It would have never ran without you! Thank you so much again!!

My pleasure!

Chris