Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a red blinking light constant

Customer Question
I have a red blinking light constant
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/11/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

can you tell me whereabouts on the dash you have this blinking red light?

also does the truck start and drive OK?

also how many miles are on it and when was it last serviced?

We just bought it. Its right next to the temp gauge . its actually top left of temp gaige
It runs fine
It has 90 k

Hello

OK

I believe that light is the transmission overheating warning

so I'd begin by taking a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

Ok but the truck hasnt over heated

Hello

the warning light isn't for the engine coolant

its for the transmission oil?

hence my suggestion of checking the tranny oil level as the next step

let me know what you find

Ok we thought it was. The security light we will check

understood just get back to me on this post

Hello

OK that light is the security system has an error

It says it may be flashing because you pulled the hood release whilst the window was open.

I would try disarming the system first, just to see if you can get the light to go out, then arm it again. If it stays off fine, if not then the software may need updating

To disarm and arm:

To Disarm the System:

Use the Keyless Entry transmitter to unlock the door. If something has triggered the system in your absence, thehorn will sound three times when you unlock the doors and the security lamp will flash for 30 seconds. Check thevehicle for tampering.

The Security system will also disarm, if the vehicle is started with a programmed Sentry Key. If an unprogrammed Sentry Key is used to start a vehicle, the engine will run for 2 seconds and then the security alarm will be initiated. To

exit alarming mode, press the transmitter Unlock button, or start the vehicle with a programmed Sentry Key.

The Security Alarm System is designed to protect your vehicle; however, you can create conditions where thesystem will arm unexpectedly. If you remain in the vehicle and lock the doors with the transmitter, the alarm will sound when you pull the door handle to exit. The door will be locked but the Security Alarm will not arm.

Rearming of the System:

The security system will rearm itself after the 15 additional minutes of headlights and security telltale flashing, if the system has not been disabled. If the condition which initiated the alarm is still present, the system will ignore that condition and monitor the remaining doors and ignition.

To Set the Alarm:

The alarm will set when you use the power door locks, or use the Keyless Entry transmitter to lock the doors. After all the doors are locked and closed the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster will flash rapidly to signal that the system is arming. The security light in the instrument panel cluster will flash rapidly for about 16 seconds to indicate that the alarm is being set. After the alarm is set, the security light will flash at a slower rate to indicatethat the system is armed.

This is from the manual, "SECURITY INDICATOR FLASHES FOLLOWING BULB TEST",

Cause - Invalid key in ignition switch lock cylinder.

Solution - Replace the key with a known valid key

Can I reprogram it myself

Hello

sorry to say that the keys can only be programmed by a dealership, as you imagine the security implications mean this is the only option

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt