Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2007 dodge 1500 5.7 hemi, I have 3 faults logged in…

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 dodge 1500 5.7 hemi, I have 3 faults logged in PCM. C2101, P3497, and P0405. The C2101 code I have not worried about much because it does not throw a light, and my voltage Is in specs. P3497 I have replaced all 4 MDS solenoids and just changed the oil with 5w-20 oil. Fault still comes back. P0405 I have replaced the EGR valve fault comes back. Any ideas on what else could be causing these codes?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The Check engine light is the only light on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing myself, I have replaced all 4 MDS solenoids. Intake manifold gaskets, PCV valve, engine oil and filter 5w-20 oil. And the EGR valve.

3/11/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It will require some testing to determine exactly what is causing each of these codes.

The P0405 is either being caused by the EGR valve itself or the valve's wiring. The wiring needs to be tested to determine if the problem is wiring or the valve. If you installed an aftermarket part it's most likely still causing the code to set.

P3497 is for multi displacement system operation and could be an engine related issue or possibly an inaccurate upstream oxygen sensor on the right bank.

Has any actual testing been done for either of the issues?

For the EGR valve I have not installed an aftermarket part. I installed and OEM EGR valve 4 months ago. Now this code is active. And for the P3497 I doubt it is an O2 problem because I have recently replaced all 4 O2 sensors. I have not tested wires on the EGR valve yet.
I have a scanner and in my 02 monitor test all of my sensors are reading in specs.

Do you mean the brand OEM from a parts store?

Without a doubt when the P3497 sets, the right upstream signal is not correct for whatever reason. That's the reason the code sets.

When did the P3497 start setting as opposed to replacing the oxygen sensors, and where did the sensors come from?

I replaced the o2 sensors with bosch brand sensors from auto zone. I had a check engine light for an o2 sensor few months ago. Had a hard time getting o2 code to go away. Had the harness out ran new wires to the o2 sensors, and replaced sensors got the code to clear. Never had a problem since

The codes didn't go away because you used Bosch sensors, they are not compatible with your vehicle or any other Chrysler product later than 2002.5. You need to start by replacing the upstream sensors with Mopar. You can wait and see if the downstream sensors set codes before replacing them again.

Fault P3497 was never active 3 months ago when I had the o2 sensor code. Why would it take 3 months of having the new sensors in for it to throw the P3497 fault?

Parts can fail at any time. You may have an internal engine issue causing the code but it's more likely that the incorrect sensors are the issue. Bosch does not make a sensor compatible with an NGC engine controller.

Okay I will replace sensors and get back to you, another concern I have with this truck is that I have oil going back into my oil filter. The truck has 69,000 miles is that normal

A small amount isn't abnormal. You can try replacing the PCV valve.

Okay it is just a small amount ive replace the PCV valve recently. What are the wire for the EGR valve suppost to read at when testing them.

Does the code set 100% of the time?

Pretty much. Everytime I clear it has come back
scanner shows a 10% EGR error in freeze frame

Unplug the valve, clear the codes and start the engine. What code sets?

Faults P0406 and P0403 are active with sensor unplugged and engine running

That proves the problem is in the valve. P0405 sets when the position sensor signal circuit is shorted to ground. P0406 set with it unplugged as expected because the circuit went to 5v, proving the short to ground is in the EGR valve.

Ok i will replace it thanks. Now is the C201 fault, any I need to work about? It come on everytime after clearing the faults but does not throw a light. I have a newer battery. I load tested, tested good. and tested the charging system truck charges at 14.6 volts.

If there are no warning lights and charging voltage is correct then disregard it.

Okay I will get parts and replace and update you after repairs, thanks for the help

You're welcome!

Please remember to rate my performance before leaving the site as that is the only way I receive credit for helping you; a five star rating is greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your vehicle!

sprinkles08