Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Horn blows inadvertently for no reason,

had to pull the horn...
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Horn blows inadvertently for no reason, had to pull the horn fuse to shut it up???
3/11/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Is this occurring while driving or while its off and parked?

Both

Can you make this occur by messing with the tilt steering, turning left/right, or pounding on the steering wheel?

no

Thanks for checking that. This confirms it is not the horn switch or the clock spring. From there the signal goes to the instrument cluster, then to the integrated power module under the hood. So this means your most likely parts to blame are going to be the FCM inside the integrated power module or the horn relay. Since it is intermittent this will be a tough one to diagnose since it has to be done when the horn is actually honking. I recommend a new relay as your first fix attempt.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
have looked for relay to no avail

Would you like the wire diagram to see the circuit?