Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The alternator went bad on my 2005 dodge Cummins and went I…

Customer Question
The alternator went bad...

The alternator went bad on my 2005 dodge Cummins and went I put the new alternator on and started it the truck started but the security lights started flashing and the horn started blowing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

The lights flash and no I don’t know how to

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Dodge?

Ram 2500 diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and I have unhooked the batteries and tried to start it and see what happens and same thing happened. Checked all my fuses and my connections.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No cant think of any thing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/11/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

H​ello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Give me just a moment, please, and I will provide you information on disarming this 'power-up' mode.

Here I am attaching information on the issue that you are having along with information on disarming this issue.
POWER-UP MODE
When the armed VTSS senses that the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, it enters its power-up mode. In the power-up mode the alarm system remains armed following a battery failure or disconnect. If the VTSS was armed prior to a battery disconnect or failure, the technician or vehicle operator will have to actively or passively disarm the alarm system after the battery is reconnected. The power-up mode will also apply if the battery goes dead while the system is armed, and battery jump-starting is attempted. The VTSS will be armed until the technician or vehicle operator has actively or passively disarmed the alarm system. If the VTSS is in the disarmed mode prior to a battery disconnect or failure, it will remain disarmed after the battery is reconnected or replaced, or if jump-starting is attempted.

DISARMING
Passive disarming of the VTSS occurs when the vehicle is unlocked using the key to unlock the driver side front door. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS), passive disarming will also occur by turning the ignition switch to the On position using a valid SKIS key. Active disarming of the VTSS occurs when the vehicle is unlocked by depressing the "Unlock" button of the RKE transmitter. Once the alarm has been activated, either disarming method will also deactivate the alarm. Depressing the "Panic" button on the RKE transmitter will not disarm the VTSS.

Y​ou need to close the door and use the key to lock and unlock the door or use the transmitter to lock and unlock the door. This will cure your issue.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed

Then I start the truck after that

Yes, you do.

As soon as I turned the key in the ignition the lights started flashing and horn going off. Do I need to full start the truck for it to work.

So that you will have a better understanding, take a look at the power up mode and disarming information.

No. The truck needs to be off with the doors closed.

That didn’t work

D​oes the transmitter work when you try to lock an unlock the door?

I don’t have a key fab if that is what you are referring to as the transmitter.

D​oes the security indicator on the dash stay on when you turn the key to the on position and also when trying to start the vehicle?

The light flashes and stays flashing when started and not flashing fast.

I will have to opt out and allow another expert to assist you.

Okay sounds good so is he going to get in touch with me now
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Do you still need help?

Your key does not have a thick gray head, correct?

No it is a key that was cut at Walmart

And it has successfully started the engine before, correct?

it starts it now. The truck will start and run fine no issue there but the lights flash and the horn goes off.

You don't have SKIM so it won't disarm when starting the engine.

The only ways to disarm VTSS is with a key fob or unlocking a door with the key. IT sounds as if you have a bad disarm switch in the driver's door or a wiring issue to the switch. If you have a lock cylinder in the passenger door try unlocking there. Otherwise you're going to need to either diagnose the disarm switch issue or purchase a key fob and have it programmed.

Gonna try that in a few I’ll let you know how it goes

Great!

I ordered that part it will be in tomorrow when I get that on I’ll try it and see what happens and I will message you back.

Ok.