Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am trying to replace the water pump and cant get the

Hi, I am trying...

Hi, I am trying to replace the water pump and cant get the cooling fan off

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Dodge. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I just cant find a way to lock the water pump pulley in place so that I can unscrew the 36mm fan nut

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is on a 2001 dodge ram 2500 5.9L V8 gas
3/10/2018
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic

hi there,
im cam,a licensed diagnostic tech
do you have an air hammer?
a pin punch with air hammer is what I use and there is also a fan clutch tool that works with an air hammer as well.
these are all available at most parts stores that have tool lending.
holding the pulley by prying it can damage and warp it.

I would contact your local larger chain parts stores and see what tool lending they have.
cam

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi thanks. I do have the fan clutch tool however no air hammer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont care about the pulley on the water pump as I and replacing the pump anyway. I just need a way to hold the pulley so that when I unscrew the fan nut the pulley doesnt rotate with it. There are no bolts in and nothing to grab onto on the pulley

yes, these require just a "burst of torque" to loosen the large nuts.
just the belt holding the pulley is enough to break free the nut when using an air hammer.
there are some tools out there that will also hold the pump pulley while breaking loose.
again these are at most parts stores for lend.

I cant honestly ever remember ever being able to break that nut free without air or that tool that holds the pulley.
If you are not concerned about damaging the pulley then it will take 2 people.
jam a prybar between the pulley and water pump and have someone pry to hold pressure while you break free the nut.
a little bit of heat can help too if you ahve torches.
cam

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, i see what you mean. I tried using just the regular fan wrench when I had the belt on but the pulley slipped under the belt. Would this happen with the air hammer?

with an air hammer, its the vibration that breaks it free.

the belt is usually enough to hold it
cam

i have bolt the tool and the air hammer punch and i find the air hammer is quicker and just takes 5 seconds to break free

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would I use the air hammer? would i put the fan wrench on the nut and use the hammer on the end of the wrench?

no, you just put the bit right on the end of the clutch nut in the direction of the removal rotation.
one or two quick burps it loosens right off.
yes you will put a little divot in the surface but it wont hurt anything

i have included a youtubr video to give you an idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZOE3WOjqNY

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome i tried your idea with the prybar and that worked! Thank you for your help and quick response!

good stuff!
glad you got it!

please take a moment to rate me!
thanks again, and i appreciate postive ratings!

cam

camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic
camerontech
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic