Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I can’t turn off my alarm on my 07 ram. I only have my valet…

I can’t turn...

I can’t turn off my alarm on my 07 ram. I only have my valet key and can’t turn the alarm off once I open the door...

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Key looks like new, I was able to start the truck but the alarm still sounded

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

The first thing that I tried was starting it to turn off the alarm, it started but the alarm kept on going. The alarm went through it cycle and turn off on its own, I gave up on it for a minute. Next I tried pulling fuse 11 to get rid of the horn... At that point I unlocked the door twice with the key, the alarm didn’t sound initially when I open the door but when I tried starting the truck, the alarm sounded but it only sounded well the key was in the ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don’t believe so

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I lost the 3 button fob and only have the valet key for the meantime. I have been pushing the lock down and closing the door, I believe I locked the door with the key and haven’t been able to disable the alarm since, without the fob
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
7g819361

Sorry, I'm unable to talk on the phone at this time. Most of the time, for car questions, communicating via this site is best.. Makes it easier for me to post important needed information that you can use to fix your vehicle..

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Question about your valet key.. Is this an ALL METAL key or is it covered in plastic on the handle side? If it has a plastic cover, what color is this plastic covering?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The top of the key is medium grey plastic, it must be a transponder key because it has always worked.

Ok, good, there should be a red dot on the instrument cluster. What does this light do when you insert the key and start the engine? Does it stay illuminated, flash or does it go out after a few seconds?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry to bother you on a Saturday, I tried starting it again, I’ve never seen a red light on the dash that I remember... it started right up and the system reset...

I suspect that there may be a problem with the driver door cylinder switch. If this happens again, try unlocking the passenger door instead to see if the alarm shuts off. If not you have faulty door switches and your best bet is to purchase a new fob and have the dealer program it for you so you won't have problems in the future..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, I’m going to see about the new keys with a fob ...the drivers door is the only one with a cylinder...

Oh yeah, I forgot, they stopped putting cylinders on the other door around that year.

If you want to try to replace or repair the switch, you should be able to access it by removing the inside door panel and then rolling the window all the way up. The switch should be attached to the back side of the door lock cylinder...

Thank you,

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Cary York
Phone call session started
Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master