Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Brake lights and turn signals quit working,we checked fuses…

Customer Question
brake lights and turn...

brake lights and turn signals quit working,we checked fuses and bulbs, replaced flashercontrol box multi function switch(on steering column) and jfuses under the hood blinkers worked briefly and then fuses blew again

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

No?OK brake fluid is full but Do not know when it was changed we bought this vehicle 2 months ago after it had been parked for 2 years

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

1999 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 V-8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes trying to fix replashed flasher multifunction switch fuses and bulbs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Relaced

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/11/2018
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You don't mention what fuse was blown but that may be related to the lights not working. If you're blowing fuses related to these circuits it's due to high current draw on the circuit, most likely a short to ground in the wiring.

What is the exact location number of any fuse that is blowing?

Under the hood side by side 20 amp jfuse marked brakelights and flasher in the fuse box

Does the fuse only blow when the brake is pressed?

It does blow when you press the brakes immediatly after the 2 fuses are replaced lights work briefly figured it was a short can't seem to locate

Can you unplug the multifunction switch and see if the fuse still blows with the pedal pressed?

Will have to get more fuses and get back to you tomorrow is Sunday May have to wait until Monday to get fuses so can I contact you then?

Yes, you can reply whenever you're able.