Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a dodge ram 1500 slt with 4.7 l v-8. have to jump car…

Customer Question
I have a dodge...

I have a dodge ram 1500 slt with 4.7 l v-8. have to jump car every day. some times if i drive alot i wont have to jump next day. once jumpeg drive 5 miles to work abd everything is ok for that day. have to jump next morning. replaces battery had a mechanic looking for the system to run unusual amps off the battery but in approx 16 hours never found anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

No i hVE NOT CHECKED ALL OF THE FUSES, WOULD I BE LOOKING FOR A CERTAIN FUSE

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ram 1500?

2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Went to my mechanic who works on my 2000 toyota 4runner

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing that i can think of, just got back from jumping it for my wife to go to work

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/10/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

To be honest there are some repairs mechanics just do not want to diagnose and do. Parasitic draws are one of those scenarios. So this comment had a mechanic looking for the system to run unusual amps off the battery but in approx 16 hours never found anything is not surprising. No problem found, meaning " This is not a task I want to get involved in" There is a draw, we know that. My suggestion is to do a draw test yourself.

Before doing so you need to make sure your alternator is doing its job. While running monitor the battery voltage. It needs to be 13-15 volts at idle and higher rpm with no and a lot of electrical loads on. Once the battery is FULLY CHARGED. Car off, turn the headlights on for 2 minutes. Then turn them off and remove the negative battery cable. 1 hour later up to one week, later that battery should have right about 12.6 volts.

If all tests pass up to this point and I assume they will. You need to do this test. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bixiuc73akelsdg/ramdraw.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris