Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 dodge Dakota the check engine light is on it…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a 2002 dodge Dakota the check engine light is on it says a bad camshaft sensor I replaced it truck would not start put the old one back in and truck started....after running it for a while shut it off and try to rstart it,,,it just cranks and will not start,,,,i am baffled

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes tried the camshaft sensor put a new one in did not start put the old one back in started right up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes it runs for a while until it gets hot I guess shut it off and try to restart it,,,it just cranks and will not start

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 4 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello and welcome to just answer.
Did you replace the cam sensor with an aftermarket one from your local auto parts store or an OEM Mopar brand sensor?
I ask this because I have seen many issues with the aftermarket ones.Chris
Hello? Do you still need help?Chris
Good morning! Just. Checking back to see if you received my last reply from yesterday. I was recommending that you replace the camshaft position sensor with an OEM Mopar brand sensor. Were you able to do that yet?Chris