Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2015 dodge ram 2500 with 6.4 gas engine and 60,000…

Customer Question
I have a 2015...

I have a 2015 dodge ram 2500 with 6.4 gas engine and 60,000 miles, wont start, tried spare key fob, lights work, everything comes on but no crank, no click, nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Thats why I tried the spare fob

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked all the fuses, and i turned headlights on and tried to crank it and they stayed very bright, what should i do next?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/9/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Let's bypass a lot of stuff and go right to the starter to force it to crank. With the ignition in the run position where the instrument cluster is powered up. Use a tool or wire and touch it across both wires to the starter. Does it crank, Does it start?

It clicks like solenoid is engaging but doesnt crank

Do you own a voltmeter?

What is the voltage to the large wire at the starter and to the tool or wire when trying to bypass/jump?

12.57 volts

That passed, if it was just a subtle click then the starter is bad. If it was a harsh dull thud like the starter cannot get the engine to spin, then the engine may be hydro locked. So far it seems starter replacement is needed.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Ok well take it out and let you know

Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris