Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I bought a 2015 challenger a couple of months ago.

I bought a 2015...

I bought a 2015 challenger a couple of months ago. Everything has been great, but last night the climate control started having a problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

What? Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Challenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I intend to fix it myself if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The air is blowing... through the defrost vents in front, the defrost vents on the doors, and the leg vents. I cannot get any air to blow out of the actual dash vents. AC seems to blow cold. Heat won't come out though... I can feel some heat come intermittently. As the air blows, you can hear the sound of a cycle... sometimes it blows hard, then softer, then hard again...

I keep reading about actuators or blend doors. It seems that might be the issue, but I can't find any instruction or video example to show me exactly what needs to be done.
3/9/2018
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!!! I'm reading your question and will post a reply soon. Thank you for your patience.

When I get an issue like your here at the dealership the first step will be to see what codes the HVAC system has. You likely don't have a scantool capable of retrieving HVAC codes so you can either disassemble the dash and inspect the MODE door actuator to see if it's moving properly or save some time and hassle and have someone scan it and tell you what codes it has.

I attached the picture of the mode door actuator location..

Let me know,

Brad

Can I get a place like AutoZone to use a computer? This is a pretty basic tool right? Even the dealer I bought it from might help me out. Where do you hook it up to?
Secondly... I've read that there are more than one actuators... like maybe even 3 for this car. Is that true? If so... how do you know which one to replace for my problem.
Lastly, The diagram you provided is for the actuator on which side? How do you get to it? Do I have to remove the dash? And what do the numbers refer to? Screws?
Sorry for all the questions... I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing here. Thanks!
I need to determine what I need to do this job initially. I will have no problem paying the extra money once parts are in and I need a step by step discussion.

You can try Autozone they mainly have cheap OBDII code reader that aren't capable of communicating with the HVAC system. I think it would be best to see if your dealership will just give you the codes that are setting which would greatly help me to help you get it fixed.. If you have a Mode door travel to large then we need to see if the actuator is moving then remove it and see if the HVAC door turns all the way around or does it move from stop to stop. If it keeps spinning the door in the HVAC is broke and you will need to pull the entire dash to repair..

But the actuator is on the driver side, if you lay on the drivers floorboard and look toward the center HVAC you will see the doors.. Key on move the mode switch from vent to defrost and see if you see it move...

If you get the codes post them here..

Talk soon,

Brad

Brad thanks for the response... I think I need a little help deciphering what you wrote.
What do you mean by:
•the codes that are setting? Is that a typo?
•If you have a Mode door travel to large? I don't know what that means...
I like working on cars, but I've never worked on HVAC. I think I can do it though with the proper help.

When you get the codes checked we connect a scantool to the ODBII port under the driver side dash.. Then we can communicate with all the modules on your vehicle to retrieve the codes.. The fault codes is what I need to help you get it fixed.. And the Mode door travel too large is just an example of a code that could be setting in the HVAC module..

Ok, I will see if i can get the codes this afternoon. Thanks for the help so far...

You are very welcome..

If you get the codes just post them here and I will tell you what is going on and how to repair it..

Thanks,

Brad

I ended up taking it over to Firestone this afternoon to get a quick estimate on what it would take to fix. They said that they would start by replacing the part 604-024 air door actuator. I asked where it was located... They said "in the dash, to the right of the steering column". Does that help you to help me? Is this something the average person can do? I'm happy to try if I have a clear idea of what I need to do. I think the part is $30 online. They wanted $94 just for the part.
They wanted $300 for parts and labor

Well are they just guessing as to what is wrong? We need to start by connecting a scantool to see what codes is has.. I wouldn't replace any parts until you know what is wrong and to find out what is wrong we need the codes...

Yes that code is exactly what I need....

Ok the humidity sensor always goes bad on those and it's in the rearview mirror mount.. But the code we need to focus on is the B11C3-00 which is FRONT MODE DOOR 1 TRAVEL RANGE TOO SMALL. The picture I attached earlier is the exact one you will need to check...

I attached the directions for you to read over, but I would replace it and see if it correct your issues..

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works, You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping.. I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses.. Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issues is resolved...

Feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Take care,

Brad

OK... the actual removal of the part sounds simple enough...
However... there is no documentation for the first 2 steps.
1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. (BASICALLY, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL ON THE CAR BATTER IN THE TRUNK)
IS THAT CORRECT?
1B. My digital readout will display battery info so I assume it has the IBS. WHERE DO I DISCONNECT THAT?
2. Is there instruction you can provide to remove the steering column? Or the cover? BASICALLY steps to help me do this?
2b. Would I be removing the actual dashboard to do this? Or just getting into the dash through the dash/bezel instrument cluster?I know I can do this, but it needs to be done correctly. That's why I have so many questions. Thanks again.

Yes all you need to do is disconnect the battery, the IBS is on the negative terminal so all you need to do is disconnect either one.. And I attached the directions to remove the steering column cover... Once you have it off you will be able to see the actuator... And it's held in with a 7mm or a phillips screws..

I hope this helps,

Brad

Great. I'm getting a good sense for most of this. Still a couple questions...1. Disconnecting the battery disconnects the airbag system correct? I really don't want an airbag to go off.
2. Step 7 in the Steering Column instructions you sent says to disconnect the wire harness connectors. Any guidance there? There's no picture or info.
3. Will I be reaching the actuator thought the steering column cover area? Or will I need to remove any additional parts of the dash to get to it?

I don't even disconnect the battery when I change them here at the dealership so don't worry about an airbag deploying.. And when you remove the steering column cover you will see the electrical connections and all youhave to do is either press the tab on the connector or lift up on it.. It's really simple and there is no diagram showing how to do it...

If you have just a little bit of mechanical skill this mode door actuator will be a piece of cake.. And also if you need phone support feel free to press the phone call feature and I will be glad to facetime you and help you get it fixed if needed..

Hope this helps and have a great weekend,

Brad

Are you available at all tomorrow. AutoZone has the part. I hope to try to install it tomorrow.
If you need help just reply and I will get an Email that you responded and I will come help. But once you get in there I don’t think you will need much help.Good luck and thank you for the positive rating
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Brad! I fixed it! Thanks for your help! It was exactly what I needed to get the job done. The HVAC in my Challenger works better than ever! I'm proud to say I fixed it myself. And you gave me every bit of help I needed. Great job. Thanks so much!