Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2013 Dodge Challenger RT with MDS Have seen videos you tube…

Good Morning. 2013...

Good Morning. 2013 Dodge Challenger RT with MDS Have seen videos you tube and threads on forums about lifter/cam failure on Premature cam lobe wear on MDS car has 40k and runs flawlessly Is this really something I should be concerned about? Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Challenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

No car needs nothing at this point. Just inquiring as to whether lifter/cam failure is really an issue on the 5.7 hemi with MDS. 2013 Challenger RT Has been flawless for 1st 40K.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO thanks

3/9/2018
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Good morningYes you are correct, we are seeing quite a few lifters failing which causes the camshaft to get chewed up and then it will start tapping and misfiring. There is nothing you can do to prevent this if it’s going to happen. I can only advise you to change the oil regularly and to use a good oil.Do you hear any tapping in your engine?
Nothing at this point. I am thinking of switching to synthetic. I purchased extended warranty from Chrysler which covers the car as long as I own it. That being said I am still considering selling and picking up a manual SRT (no MDS)
Since you have lifetime warranty you should be in good shape. We haven’t narrowed down a certain year model or build plant but if you hear any tapping then I would bring it in. And using synthetic oil will help as wellGlad I could help and thank you for the positive rating.
Brad
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech