Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

New spec d clutch and throwout bearing. Making a knocking…

New spec d clutch...

New spec d clutch and throwout bearing. Making a knocking noise that goes away once pedal is pressed in. Also will randomly vibrate really bad in 2nd 3rd and 4th, then I could shift out and shift back in and it won't vibrate. Then I'll shift in 1st and it will vibrate crazy but won't vibrate in 2nd. It's very sporadic. All new motor mounts wheels and tires. All new suspension from subframe up. It is also once warmed up very difficult to shift in 1st and 4th. 2nd 3rd and 5th is fine. If I am going 20 or 21 mph I Cannot shift into 2nd, and if I am going anything but a stop I can't put it in 1st. Should I purchase a new transmission? I am thinking that is the problem...no I did not throw parts at it, it actually needed all those new parts. Rebuilt title. k

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Trouble shifting but the vibration is whats bugging the heck out of me.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2004 dodge neon srt4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRT-4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it my self. I have replaced every suspension item from sub frame all the way to all the motor mounts. Has brand new tires and wheels. New axles..it still pops when I turn. Brand new throw out bearing, pivot ball and shift fork. New slave cylinder.

3/9/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, is the transmission full of fluid, does it look like there is any metal in it? Does the shifter move normally when the engine is not running or is it still diffiicult to put into gear? Did you see any damage to the old clutch or flywheel? Did you belled the clutch system so you have a good pedal?

The transmission level is full and I did not see any metal, the shifter does shift normally, really easy actually. I seen damage to the old clutch the throw out bearing ate into the clutch. I did bleed the system and the pedal is in the proper position to allow full travel.

Ok, then it sounds like you have an issue with one of the transmission internal bearings Possibly for the input shaft, Since the shifter moves ok when off but binds up and has issues when running, either the input shaft has a wobble or there is a problem with the syncrnoziers inside the transmission which is most likely the issue. So yes your options would be to replace the transmission or have it rebuilt.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Awesome, that is what I was figuring, I just wanted a second opinion before I purchase something so expensive. I appreciate the help.

You are welcome. Thank you!