Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have a 2.12A draw through the IOD fuse with Ign Sw off doors…

Have a 2.12A draw...

Have a 2.12A draw through the IOD fuse with Ign Sw off doors closed

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Woops sorry, had to settler a family despute, I don't have a vehicle manual but I'm going through all the Forums ect to find out more, It drains the battery overnight. I understand that it powers some Module in the van and it is vert expensive so I have to be carefull in this'

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your SW?

Oh I'm sorry, 2004 Dodge Caravan SE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SW yourself? What have you tried so far?

I an trying myself as I was an Aircraft mechanic in my former life and an electrican, I have test equip tools and lot of t5ime on my hands next PP will be waht Ive done

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Have had to keep battery Neg term disconnected over night so as to not drain battery. When hooking up the Neg term I hear a relay click and it holds. The instrument cluster goes through a dance up and down for a couple cycles.1. measured the current through the battery cables measures 2.12 Amps (Digital ammeter) 2. removed the IOD fuse, No more current draw

3/9/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Is there any aftermarket equipment installed on your van, that you know of? Alarm systems, remote starts or anything like that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, only thing I might add is that it is equipped with a powered side door and ramp that folds out for wheelchair people reswt is standard
I took my own you tube video of the instrument panel doing its dance and the ammeter and readings if you want but I suspect this is a problem you've seen before?

Thanks for the reply. I am unable to make the phone calls, so I can opt out and see if another expert can phone you if that is your preference. Let me know.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand you are not avail for phone call right now, My video turned out pretty good I might try to send it , Another option is if you could Email me the info. What relay is probably the one clicking (if possible) and what all does it power. If I had a good wiring diagram that would make this a whole lot simpler. I have an electrical back ground on commercial aircraft so I'm no dummy to troubleshooting. But I am physically limited as I am wheel chair'd
***@******.***
eric remington
Phone call session started

I will call tomorrow....do this though put iod fuse back ind ck battery and charging system if ok disconnect red wire from alternator ...if still have drain ck all interior lights staying on glove box trunk lights if ok pull one fuse ata time not the iod fuse but pull the other ones till drain comes down....note it amy take time for the modules to shut down when battery first disconnected and pulling fuses

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try that, however I really think the problem lies in the circuit downstream of the IOD. I had it disconnected for over an hour while taking measurements. Each time I wring it it shows a 2.12 current draw. When I pull the IOD fuse the current draw drops to a 0.1 amp reading. (probably the Radio presets) I just wish I could get my hands on a wiring diagram that shows what all is powered by this IOD fuse. I hear a click like a relay closing each time I touch the battery cable to the NEG battery post. So it is probably downstream of that relay. And it sounds like its right in that fuse box, but I fell the various relays in that area and I can't feel one. Tomorrow I'm going to use a good ole redneck stethescope (a short hose) and try to find it that way. Also weird is the fact that I hear clicking inside right at the instrument panel.Also, I am on the west coast and I don't get up with the chickens anymore. For now Id like to keep this to Email.
TX, Bill in Vacaville
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, starting with each "Click" at the instrument panel, the panel gauges do a dance. all instrument needles go up full scale and then back down.
Leave iod fuse in and pull the others

e​venthough the drain disappears with removal of that fuse. . it could be bad diode in alternator which is why I said disconnect red wire and ck for any interior lights on pull one fuse at a time. the drain transfers to the iod fuse. Also if you did not already know after disconnecting battery negative cable with ammeter attached you must wait 45 minutes for all modules to shut down

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eric, I found on the forums an article "IGNITION-OFF DRAW TEST" and I followed it as It seems to be more my problem.Kinda starting over, my symptoms 2004 Dodge Caravan SE battery drain:Dead battery overnight, otherwise (after charging battery), vehicle runs/drives fine. Whenever battery (good) is hooked back up, a click can be heard both from the EATX relay and one from the area of the IGN Switch. In time with the clicks, the instruments on the instrument panel are all driven to full scale UP and then return to 0
IOD Fuse & EATX Safety Shutdown relay are contributing.
This check was done by removing and leaving out each component one at a time.
1. Both installed - current drain 2.12 Amps, drops to 1.93 after 30 min
2. Removed ETAX Relay - current drain > 1.76 Amps, no futher drop after 30
3. Removed IOD Fuse - current drain > 0.20 Amps, (200 Milliamps), drops to 0.00 A after 15 min.
Note: EATX Safety Shutdown Relay is warm to the touch at all times, (It's passing current) all others are cool. I swapped out the EATX with one of the others, no joy)
Removed all other fuses and none made any difference. Disconnected Alternator charge wire from alternator made no difference. Test done with all doors shut, key removed, all lights off, switches off, radio off, heater controls off.
What would really help immensely would be some good accurate material to work with, meaning, accurate for this particular vehicle, Wiring Diagrams even Block Diagrams showing the different modules installed and their location. The generic diagrams you get on the web are almost useless and can lead a person to time and money wasted.
My guess is, whatever is giving the EATX relay it's ground is the culprit.Bill in Vacaville

ok that is the standard test...after disconnecting battery did you wait for all modules to shut down this can take up to an hour. did you disconnect every fuse in every fuse box did you disconectdoor trunk and hood switches? if opening door yhou have to wait for module to shut down? so no pulling of fuses made any difference? I will provide schematics if you wish? what exact ones would you like? Eric

get me the vin number so iget you the right diagrams

the gauges go crazy...body control module?

any codes in bcm?

get me vin number

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eric, will answer your ?s tomorrow after good nights sleep, Thank you for the interest I see you have in helping me....
Bill in Vacaville

yes of course that is what we are here for

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eric, Did the test after Van sat overnite with doors closed and locked and battery disconnected after full charge,
No, I did not pull out all fuses at the start as I feel OK with pulling one out at a time. ( a matter of preference?)
No, didn't disconnect the Rear door and hood plugs, I don't have them.The VIN # - 1D4GP24RX4B569613
Read the codes with the IGN switch method. results - P0645, P0633From Google search:
The P0645 OBD-II trouble code is associated with the air conditioning (A/C) clutch relay control circuit. When the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or one of vehicle and the specific malfunction this code may be set as many as eight times before the check engine light is illuminated.
The purpose of the A/C clutch relay control circuit is to control the operation of the air conditioning. This is accomplished by providing power to the A/C clutch to engage the A/C compressor. Based on the specific vehicle, this circuit can be very complex and include several control modules.
Code P0645 is set by the PCM when it detects a general malfunction in the air conditioning relay control circuit.Code P0633 When a code P0633 is stored, it means that the engine control module (ECM) or powertrain control module (PCM) has detected an immobilizer key which it does not recognize.I have this code before, and had it to the dodge dealer to clear it, it just comes back, I don't know why.Wiring diagrams? I could use the ones for the Body Control module to the Power Module (Fuse & Relay box) (anything that you think you would want to have?)Bill in Vacaville

found this article..... did you leave the iod fuse in and remove one fuse at a time... read this article. oh also , not saying you have to have it but scanners come in different levels of ability scanners that can access data in the bcm and codes there may be helpful, but removing one fuse t a time,since alternator not the culprit, should reveal the source of the area of the problem. I do bleieve you leave the iod fuse in and remove the others till drain disappears

or you could disconnect bcm that would be disabling alot...bcm warm to touch? ok ok Im working on schematics I realize these problems can be a challenge...

I have all the wiring schematics for entire vehicle saved to my desktop I will email them to as the file is too large to place on this page...so ck your email

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Eric, haven't heard back from you for a few days but I wanted to let you know that I have found the problem (positively) and it wasn't any module but the ignition switch lock cylinder, it was NOT in the Locked position when the Key could be removed, thus was still passing 2 amps through it. Managed to get the Ign cylinder into the LOCKED position to remove the key and the current draw went to 0.02A. Thanks for your help, and have a good day.
Bill In Vacaville

hmmm no lights staying on dash?

well I'm glad you found it...have seen a lot of alternators modules etc

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician