Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 ram 1500 6cy will not crank...turn it on all lights are…

2007 ram 1500 6cy...

2007 ram 1500 6cy will not crank...turn it on all lights are on but no start. wait 1 or 2 days try to start & it will crank right up... good battery had starter replaced now nothing...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Auto parts store said the ignition relay was possibly bad but I don't know where it is

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The problem is intermittent so I know it's electrical but is showing no codes when tested

3/8/2018
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!!! I'm reading your question and will post a reply soon. Thank you for your patience.

When you say it will not start, will the engine turn over and crank just not start or will the starter not turn the engine over?

Can I get your VIN number?

engine will not turn over... when you turn the key nothing happens .... VIN # 1D7HA16K37J609639 .....
when the truck cranks it's like nothing was ever wrong with it ... runs fine no lights flicking etc. but turn it off and try to crank again and it's dead again

Thank you for the VIN!!

Ok so if the starter will not engage it could be due to security. Do you see a red light on in the dash when it won't start? Have you connected a scantool to see what codes are in the WCM? The WCM is the Wireless Control Module which is the part you stick your key into..

I have had to replace quite a few of the WCM's here at the dealership due to a no start...

scan tool reads no codes....... the security light flashes

Also if you do find that the WCM has codes in it and it needs to be replaced the WCM will need to be programmed with a Witech scantool before it will start.. We(Dealership) charge 1 hour labor to program and flash/update modules...

Are you using a cheap code reader or a scantool capable of communicating with the WCM?

probably a cheap ,one ...it's a hyper tough obdll code reader

Yes that isn't capable of retrieving the codes from the WCM.. That will only retrieve misfire and O2 codes.. I highly suspect you have a intermittent WCM but again I would need for you to connect a scantool such as the WiTech I use here at the dealership to see what codes it has..

If you wanted to have your local Dodge dealership replace the WCM I believe it would be a good chance it would correct your issues.. But the proper way to repair it would be to connect a scantool and see what codes it has and then perform the diagnostics for each code....

Let me know,

Brad

-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
thanks
local dealership (autonation) is a parts replacer... I can't afford them... any other suggestions?