Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge avenger with 2.4 won't go over 4000 rpm, getting P0017…

Dodge avenger with 2.4...

Dodge avenger with 2.4 won't go over 4000 rpm, getting P0017 error I may have to leave shortly, but that's the issue

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

125,000 and I have a code reader, and the P0017 happens repeatedly. I turn the code off, drive and it still won't go over 4000 rpm. no check engine light. Turn car off, turn it back on, get P0017 again

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Avenger?

2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Shop had it for a week or so and couldn't come up with anything, and didn't want to change out the sensor because they didn't feel that was the problem. was going to change transmission fluid to see if that had any impact

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, but I may have to leave the chat and return this evening if I get a call, am at my offic

3/8/2018
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Has any recent repairs been performed on the engine?

no, and this has been going on for half a year. had a shop look at it, but they felt just replacing parts would be a waste of money without knowing. At first, it happened sporadically, now it happens all the time. So whatever it is, it's consistent now.

I assume the component repair shop checked is the cam timing solenoid. If the solenoid is good then the next stepo is to check the cam phaser and streched timing chain. These two are the most common issues on this vehicle around this mileage.

ok, but would those items cause symptoms like a rough running motor, problems starting, etc.?
also, would this cause the rev limiter to kick in and prevent me from going over 4000 rpm?

Since this vehicle is equipped with variable timing, if timijng chain is jumped just by a tooth it will not run rough or cause staring issue. And incase of a faulty cam phaser, you will experience more of a performance issue under load than at idle or when starting.

Ah, ok, then that makes sense. Well, short of the 4000 RPM limit. Whenever I accelerate up a hill it will not go beyond 4000 rpm and won't shift to the next gear.

That can be caused by either one of the cases.

ok, thanks, I'll take it back to the shop and see if they can take it from here with your notes. Now that it is consistently misbehaving maybe that will help diagnose the solenoid vs. stretched belt too

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh
I'll do the rating immediately. Thank you.