Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2009 dodge diesel, When I start it, volt meter goes to 14…

Customer Question
2009 dodge diesel, When...

2009 dodge diesel, When I start it, volt meter goes to 14 amps, Then studders, discharges to zero, idle goes down, does this two times. Been to two shops, nobody knows what to fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

Just bought vehicle last year used at dealer. 89000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Volt?

As far as I know, its all 2009, no way of knowing whats been changed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not a mechanic, two shops say they cannot find a problem except seeing the meter discharge, one shop wants to sell me a new or used ECM, Say idle control is in the ECM, about 3500 dollars.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Did I buy a lemon? lol

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 4 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

This sounds like you may have a bad connection between the two batteries. Do you have access to a multi-meter to run a few electrical tests?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert