Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I GOT A 2004 DODGE 2500 WITH THE 5.7 I HIT A BUMP TODAY AND…

I GOT A 2004 DODGE...
I GOT A 2004 DODGE 2500 WITH THE 5.7 I HIT A BUMP TODAY AND THE TRUCK STALLED. BUT IT WONT START STARTER WONT ENGAGE . I JUMPED THE STARTER WITH THE KEY ON BUT IT STILL WONT FIRE WILL CRANK IF JUMPED .
3/8/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Ok at the starer relay check power and ground at 85 and 86 terminals while cranking

IF I PULL THE COVER OFF THE RELAY AND MANUALLY PRESS THE RELAY IT WILL ENGAGE THE STARTER. I CHECKED FOR POWER WITH A TEST LIGHT IT AND IT LIGHT UP WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED ALL THE WAY. BUT I CHECKED FOR GROUND AND IT DOSENT APEAR TO BE GROUNDING.

ok so that means no signal from pcm, is there any aftermarket security installed on this or do you have a security light on now?

has an after market remote starter and I unplugged it I can not get communication to the PCM with
scan tool

That might be causing your issue, have you checked all your fuses yet?

I checked all pcm fuses and they all look good

have you checked the wire that the start module commands the relay on?

no what wire is that?

pin 38 connector C3 on pcm to relay dark green/orange, your remote start module should be spliced into that wire,

all the splices are underneath the drivers kick panel inside the cab

right check all those wires

there should be that signal wire in there somewhere

I removed the kick panel checked the spliced lines I'm not seeing anything broke or apart so your saying the green and orge wire under the steering Colum should have a sliced line andf to check it?

yes or find the wiring diagram of your remote starter and see where the signal start goes too they are all different

Ok but if I unplugged the whole remote starter system I should not be having this problem. I done this on multiple cars before and as soon as I unplugged everything it fixed the issue. But this time it didn't I'm starting to lean towards a bad pcm can we run a test on that to see or to cross it off the list.

yes check that same wire above when starting and see if you get a ground

Where it plugs into the pcm?

correct, backprobe that wire

OK SO I BACK PROBE THE WIRE WITH THE TEST LIGHT I HAD THE NEGITVE END OF THE LIGHT ON THE POSITIVE BATTERY AND THE TEST LIGHT ON THE GREEN/ ORANGE WIRE. THE LIGHT WOULD LIGHT UP KEY OFF AND LIGHT UP WITH KEY ON THE ON POSITION. BUT WHEN TRYING TO CRANK IT THE LIGHT WOULD GO OUT.

if you dont have any secuirty codes in the system I would say the pcm is bad

OK I TRIED TO GET INTO THE SECURTY MODULE WITH MY SCAN TOOL IT WONT COMMUNICATE WITH THE SECURTY MODULE AND THE PCM, I WENT INTO THE OTHER MODLE THERES CODES FOR MISMATCHED VIN AND NO PCM.

whats the number codes?

abs CODE WAS 84 FOR MISMATCH VIN, AIRBAG MISSING CURRENT VIN, BODY MODULE FRONT CONTROL MODULE LOSS ENGINE CONTROLLER J1850, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER PCM MISSING

did this just happen out of the blue or was it in a wreck or did you just buy it this way?

JUST HAPPENED OUT OF THE BLUE

ok there is a TSB on that here is the printout

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlfyvjal1xu1l3g/thurs2.docx?dl=0

To program a pcm you would need to communicate with the pcm correct? we do not have communication with the pcm. What does this TSB update correct?

the dealer scanner would be able to communicate with the computer

What does the tsb update correct?

pcm communication to the vehicle and proper pcm inner-workings

is this a software update or replacement computer

did you read the document I sent? all the questions your asking are answered in the document

If we do the update and still cant get truck running and communication to pcm then what?

then you will have to trouble shoot the harness from pcm to components

I want to trouble shoot the pcm to components what pin do I have to test

we checked the pcm signal already and determined the pcm is bad though, and there is a document saying its a common issue, why would you not just fix that ? if your harness is good it still wont send a signal because there is non to send

you are saying the pcm is bad....which you did not say before which I was thinking and wanted confirmation. ....

correct, we did the tests and no signal plus the code and doc stating replacement

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
ok perfect thankyou I just order a new one
We replaced the pcm with a new one which was preprogrammed and I still have no communication to pcm and the truck will not turn over what should our next step be? should we test ignition switch output?