Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 dodge Durango will not start after alarm went off.

Customer Question
2005 dodge Durango will...

2005 dodge Durango will not start after alarm went off. Lights do come on. Possbile alarm lockup everything

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

No let me try

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried to Unlock from inside, from remote. Nothing work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am away from my dodge. I am trying to talk to my bf to see if it worked. Someone took my key and the alarm went off. I think he might have done something to remote or the vechice

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
I have tried to lock and unlock from inside, from outside. It still will not start. Lights come on. Is it because of alarm lock it up or someone mess up my dodge
3/8/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there - did you lose the original key, and... is this a FOB and key rolled into one unit (a rather large key)?

I'm trying to determine if your Durango has an immobilizer system, and if you are using the valet key to try and start it...

I just bought the vechice yestersday. I only have one key with remote on it. I dont know what is fob
Someone stole the key for a while i dont know if they did something to key or the vechice itself

So, do you have another key without the remote (fob)?

I am deaf. I dont think talking on phone will help
No
Should i go to dodge dealship to have the copy of key?

So you now have the original key and remote. When you try to start the vehicle, is there a security light that flashes?

No flashing. Just normal light

OK - so at this point, it is hard to determine the issue, but yes, I would recommend getting a second key. If it is the remote and key rolled into one, I will warn you - these are not cheap, and they have to be programmed.

Not start. Just lights on dashboard

I'll see if some other experts have some insight.

How much would it be? Just in case if second key dont work what should i do after that

I'm sorry, I can't say for sure. Last one I purchased for a customer was $175.00.

As far as what to do next, did the place that sold you the car offer any warranty???

No i dont think so
I will talk to them in the morning and see what they said

OK. Hope it all works out.

Could it be something inside that someone can trigger it not to work?

That would be unlikely, unless someone has installed a switch. From the factory, no.

A switch from inside or hood?

Neither would come from the factory - either under the hood, or inside. Have you looked under the hood for anything that is obviously disconnected?

Now i am with my dodge. Just curious what does security light look like? I have blue light flashing.. not sure if it is normal for alarm to be flashing. When i try to start the only i get is lights on dashboard but it will not start at all
what does switch look like? How would i know if anything is disconnected

With a factory system, there is usually an amber key icon, or a light that says "security"

A flashing blue light would potentially indicate an aftermarket alarm system, or a remote start system.

could it be fuse or battery that it will not start?
The remote came apart. Could it be something inside they key broken or not working

Yes. The alarm is probably on, and you cannot disarm it without the remote.

Look, I'll be honest here - I don't think I can help you any further... It sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm system, and there are many variations... I can't really guide you through the diagnosis on this system. In general, the alarm module will be found under the driver's side trim panel, under the steering column. But even if you disconnect the entire module, there is no guarantee the truck will run!

I would be contacting the operation who sold you the car - you need someone with some auto electrical experience, who can lay their hands on the truck