Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1995 dodge 3500 when I drive it looses power and my…

Hello I have a...

Hello I have a 1995 dodge 3500 when I drive it looses power and my rpm drops on my dash board also my voltage drops and starts draining my batteries then it comes back again but today it just wouldn't charge no more.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes that was the first thing i did its weird because it charges for a while then it drops again

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a mechanic and he said that there was a wire touching the frame they said they had fixed it but after several days it started doing the same thing it would charge then drops back again on and off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's the only problem it has charging issues

it has new batteries and new alternator
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

What size engine do you have? Are you saying that the alternator stopped charging? Are you looking for some possible causes?

Would you happen to have the VIN by chance?

let me get it
vin # ib7mc36c5ssi3559i

Thank you. One moment while I pull up your vehicle.

engine 5.9 Laramie

Thank you for that information. If your saying that the alternator is not charging, then it could be a faulty alternator. You would need to start by checking all fuses and all inputs to the back of the alternator to ensure it has the correct powers and input from the main computer. If there are any codes in the computer or if the engine speed sensor is faulty, this engine could remain running and prevent the alternator from charging. However, if all checks out good, replace the alternator.

I hope this helps! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I changed that alternator 3 times thinking that they where bad had them tested they were good i also bought new batteries still doing the same

I see, thank you for that information. Check the power supplies to the alternator as it could be missing an input. That is likely why it is not charging. The black/gray wire (the big wire) is the main power feed. The dark blue wire is the power wire from the ASD relay. This should be hot with the engine running.

Also, dont forget to check for codes and the engine speed sensor signal.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician