Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2011 Dodge Dakota making whinning noise starting around 25…

Customer Question
2011 Dodge Dakota making...

2011 Dodge Dakota making whinning noise starting around 25 /30 mph changed wheel berrings and fan clutch still there was low on power steering fluid filled it back up i am going nuts with this

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Was shifting at higer rpm i thought but not shure think it shifting better since changed fan clutch tranny

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Wheel berrings and fan clutch my step son was fixing

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/7/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 3 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Is the noise coming from the engine compartment area or from the rear of the truck?
no on line
from the engine compartment. If you rev the engine up a little while it is in park or neutral, can you hear the noise?
no only in gear starts around 20 /25 mph gets louder the faster you go put brakes on it stops
Is this a 2 or*****Dakota?
4 wheel
Ok, would you please send me the vehicle's Vin number?
1d7rw2bk3bs636506

Thanks. Give me a few minutes to check a few things.

Chris

o/k

Does the whine change in intensity when you accelerate or decelerate (coast) ?

Chris

it does

I thought soI am thinking since it is road speed related, this whine may be coming from the front differential or the transfer case. That fact that it changes when decelerating leans me towards the front differential (worn ring and pinion gear. What needs to be done now is to have a shop put the truck up on a hoist and run the truck in gear around 25 to 30 mph. Then the technician can use a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint whether it is coming from the front differential or the transfer case. I am a shop foreman at a Dodge dealer and that is how we do this.

Chris

is this drive able like this we checked transfer case thats down by drive shaft rite
there is oil in trasfercase

Yes if there is oil in the transfer case and differential, it is ok to drive until you get it looked at.

Chris

is this a big job

Yes, just a bit. If the front diff or transfer case is the cause, then it is about an 8 hour job for the front differential or about 4 hours to replace the transfer case.

I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.Thank you!
Chris

I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service or accept my answer using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! Chris

Hello, just checking back yo see if you received my last replies, and/or if you still have any further questions.

Chris

Hello, just checking backto see how it is going with the truck

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman