Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Still working on the 2007 dodge with a Cummins. IOD fuse…

Still working on the 2007...
Still working on the 2007 dodge with a Cummins. IOD fuse does not blow anymore but still no dash lights or gauges and no headlights until the switch is turned on. Replaced turn signal switch, ignition switch, clock spring switch and still nothing. Cleared the codes but U1421 still shows up.
3/7/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

I'm going to try and break this down, so instead of trying to diagnose multiple issues, the headlights will be the easiest system to look at, so we'll concentrate on that and we'll likely correct the other issues if they are all related.

Are you saying that the headlights will not turn on unless the ignition is turned on?

The headlights will not turn on with the switch. When you turn the ignition switch on the headlights come on and off when you turn the ign switch back off. The radio also comes on now with the ign switch too but when you turn off the switch it stays on for about ten minutes.

Thanks for the reply.

OK, from you're telling me it sounds like you have an issue with your TIPM. The TIPM is basically the underhood fuse box but it also is a microprocessor based control module and are pretty common failure items in that year.

I'm sure you have verified all your fuses are good, so it would be time to swap out the TIPM by the sounds of it.

There probably is no way to test the TIPM? Pretty expensive piece to try but I don’t have any other option.
With a good scan tool and wiring diagrams, the circuit can be tested thoroughly and the cause can be confirmed. These are the sorts of things we deal with all the time in the dealership. If it’s an option for you you might want to consider getting a complete diagnosis at the dealer or other well equipped shop because as you’ve found out this isn’t a cheap part.
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician