Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 2500 Hemi. Wont start, no dash lights, I have aux

2003 2500 Hemi....

2003 2500 Hemi. Wont start, no dash lights, I have aux power. Battery is good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes all good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have power to fuse 19 and 20 for ecm

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No Dash Power, no start, only ACC pwr, like radio, windows blower etc

3/7/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be going on and it's going to require some electrical testing to determine exactly what is wrong. You may have a bad ignition switch, a wiring issue, it could be the battery, cables or connections, you may have a bad integrated power module.

How did you determine the battery is good?

Battery is new and has been tested to be on the safe side. The cables and connectors to the battery are excellent. When I put the key in the ignition, the chimes sound off. If I wiggle the key a bit, it stops. I turn the key to on. Nothing. I do however here the fuel pump. The radio clock is on, the blower works, wipers work etc. But nothing in the gauge section. Just Dead.

I would recommend checking the ignition switch, connector and wiring for heat damage.

Apologize for the delay in reply. Spent the night in the hospital with my son. Returned a few hours ago and installed new ignition switch. Still, none of the gauges work nor will the truck start. Hazards work but no turn signals. ACC stuff ok.

Was there any heat damage to the connector or wiring?

Did not see any with the connector or wiring. The old switch was a bit brown on the pins at one end.
Could a bad starter solenoid cause this?

Do you have an incandescent test light?

Also a fluke meter

You'll want to use the test light.

At the ignition switch check for power on the red, the two red/white black/orange and pink/black wires.

Ignition key on or off?

You can leave the key off.

ok. Also, what about the starter solenoid?

You don't need to be concerned with the starter solenoid.

Ok. Will get back to you in the morning with the finds. Any voltages I should check for while I am at it?

This will be it for now.

Good afternoon. I have the tests as follows; Pink/Black 12.18 Volts, Red/white 12.18 volts, and Black/Orange 12.18 volts

You want to use a test light and note the brightness of the bulb.

I did that as well and they were all as equally bright. Used the battery as a baseline

Can you do the same at fuse 19?

Fuse 19 Lights good and has 12 volts

What about 51?

Fuse 51 lights good and 12 volts. Do you want me to re-assemble the ignition switch and put it back together?

You can leave the column shroud off or now.

Does the lighter/power outlet work?

The power outlet does work. I do not know how long if ever the lighter has worked. I checked it and it does not. This is with the ignition off and no key inserted. The ignition switch is still disassembled / not hooked up.

The key needs to be on to check the lighter. You can either check the socket for power or check fuse 29 with the switch plugged in and key on.

OK. I will reconnect the switch and plug it in. Insert key and turn to on. Will also check the lighter after that along with fuse 29.

If you find power at the lighter socket then you won't need to check the fuse.

All connected. No power to lighter and no power at fuse 29. I know it has gone past 9 pm. If you want, you can e-mail me things to check for in the morning and I will reply to you?

With the switch plugged in and backprobing with the key on let's check for power on the dark blue wire in pin 3 and the red/white in pin 2. Reply whenever you're able.

OK. How do I get to these wires in such a tight fit? Or can I just probe through the wire itself?

Backprobe into the connector with a paperclip or something similar if you need to.

understood. Thanks.

You're welcome!

Good afternoon. I have tested the 2 wires and we do have power with the key on.
I made an error. Fuse 29 Does have power with the key on. No power with the key off. Also, there is no power at the lighter either way. Fuse 28 for the overhead does not have power with or without the key on. I also have no overhead readouts.

But you do have power on the dark blue wire at the ignition switch with the key on?

You'll need to remove the fuse box and locate the dark blue wire in pin 11 of connector 1. Connector 1 is the rear connector in the row of four nearest the fender. Check the wire and terminal for damage or corrosion. If ok then backprobe on the wire with the key on and see if there is power there.

If there is not then you have a broken wire between the ignition switch and fuse box.

If power is present then you need a fuse box.

Ok. I have not removed a fuse box before. So it might take me a bit. I will get back to you with what I have found. Thanks again.

You're welcome!

Good afternoon. I have pulled the fuse box and disconnected C1 and C2. C2 had a red and purple wire corroded and not connected. These plugs are nasty. May check all 7 plugs. Where can I get an insertion / extraction tool plus new connectors.

The connectors are still available. The part number for C1 is(###) ###-####A, C2 is 68068657AA. You can buy them new from a dealer or Mopar wholesale site. Otherwise you should be able to get them from a salvage yard.

The terminals can be removed with a simple straight pick.

Ok. What is the purple wire for and which pin is it? I have not been able to find a color code wire connector diagram for re assembley. Any thoughts?

Isn't it broken at the back side of the connector? You'd want to locate the remaining wire or the terminal in the connector with the wire corroded off.

Both wires are corroded and off their respective pins in the connector. No colored shielding on the pins themselves. So I am not able to no which wire goes to which pin for replacement. There are 5 pins on this side of the connector. #5 and #1 have had no pins / wires connected. Only #2, 3 and 4. If we could match the purple wire to the correct pin number, then I am home free. Do not want to incorrectly put these in the wrong spots.

Can you upload a picture of the connector location that you're dealing with?

C2. How do I Send E-mail Pic? Would need an address. Thanks.

You can use the button in the toolbar to upload the picture here.

do not see the button on the toolbar.
Sorry. Found it. Will get you a pic.

Ok.

I was looking for the physical location on the fuse box so I can determine for sure if it's connector 2.

In connector 2 the row of terminals missing two is 11-15, pins 11 and 15 are empty. The violet wire is pin 13, the center of that row.

Thanks. ***** need to find wires and connectors. The dealer and dodge does not carry these anymore. Also would these 2 wires cause the problem I am having or should I disconnect and check all of the plugs into the fuse box?

I looked at availability yesterday when I told you that they were still available. They aren't going to be in stock but your dealer can order them and you can order them from Mopar wholesale sites.

Just repair the damage you've found so far and then see if you have more issues.

sprinkles08
Perfect. I appreciate it. Once I have done this how would I contact you personally again? Might be a week or so. Also how are you with 98 Dodge 12 valve diesel 2500 4x4? I am sure this will cost me more but that is fine. None of the interior lights and the chime will shut off. replaced headlight switch, door trips and ignition.