Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 dodge 2500 with the 6.7 diesel and the 68rfe…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 dodge 2500 with the 6.7 diesel and the 68rfe transmission 4x4. i changed the transmission oil and filters and when i was done the transmission wouldn't shift right and wouldn't even go into 4th gear. So I talked to some people and they told me to change the solenoid pack. I've done that now and still the same. What is going on?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

Red its all brand new

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself we changed the oil and filters and thats when the problem began, and now we have changed the solenoid pack as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of the pickup drove fine up until we changed the transmission oil and filters

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/6/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 4 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

When you replaced the main transmission filter, did you REPLACE the filter seal? If you did, where did you install the seal to? Did you install it to the filter or did you install into the front pump opening or did you leave the original seal in place??

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I installed it in the opening

The most common cause for issues directly after a transmission service is this seal. Sometimes it doesn't get installed properly and sometimes it just doesn't seal correctly. At this time, I recommend to replace the main filter again and this seal. Make absolutely sure the seal is installed properly and that the filter engages this seal securely when installing the filter. After the service it should take around 7 qts of ATF+4 to fill the transmission. You also MUST clear ALL codes in the TCM using a FACTORY level scan tool. Road test again at that point and see if the problem is solved. If it is not solved, scan the TCM again and post ALL codes retrieved here and I'll let you know what to do next...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

ok I changed tje filter again made sure the seal was securley in place and its still doing the same thing. Its like you just shifted into nuetral when its suppose to be going into 4th, no power and the engine raps up freely. codes are P0700, and P0734

Ok, other than the filter, there is a significant list of possibilities. At this point you will need to run the diagnostic procedure for the P0734 code. This requires special tools such as a factory scan tool. At this time I HIGHLY recommend to take it to your dealer for diagnosis unless you have access to factory level tools for diagnosis.

For now, I'm posting the diagnostic procedure for you to read through. At the beginning is the list of possibilities.

P0734 Procedure --->> Click Here to view <<------

As for the P0700, This is an informational code that is just telling you that there are transmission related codes stored..

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.