Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

If the cam or lifter is bad, why does it run smooth now at…

Second opinion] if the cam...
Second opinion] if the cam or lifter is bad , why does it run smooth now at the higher rpm where if was so rough I though I had a flat
3/6/2018
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

A worn down cam lobe will always cause a misfire at any rpm.

If it is rough at idle but smooth's out at high rpm when engine vacuum is lower, chances are you have an intake manifold vacuum leak.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.
Just because you became a member doesn't mean you don't still have to rate the expert when done so he gets credit for his time.

Doesn't run rough at any RPM except over 5000 so that doesn't seem to answer the question

You never mentioned that before. Why don't you explain everything that you want a second opinion on.

I did explain everything about 4 times if you look back on the archives of my questions
tims auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

please explain to me what is going on.

thanks

I HAVE A 2013 RAM 1500 5.7 HIMI. RUNS GREAT no mis no vibration no codes, until I exceed 5000 rpm, like when i'm passing someone. then I get vibration, like I have a flat tire or something. the check lite comes on, some time it stays most time it goes off after my rpm goes down. when it did throw a code it said misfire in #1, we replaced the coil pack, spark plugs and injector, also checked compression and leak off. can get no other code. and like I said runs great all other times. have been told might be worn lob, but can't find any reason to believe that. I am in the process of having vale springs tested. can find no computer problems on scan.

how many miles is on it?

115243.

does the engine rattle?

no. it sounds and runs great unless I punch it. then it shakes

ok..

when it shakes..the shake is a missfire..correct?

I understand andall agree, but whats's causing it

i dont think it is the valve-train at all

to me,,it sounds as if it is starving for fuel

you need to test the fuel pressure and delivery of the fuel

must never have less than 59psi at anytime

i would think you need a new fuel pump unit

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z59hza45r6jwrcm/0305-ram-SPECIFICATIONS.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/z59hza45r6jwrcm/0305-ram-SPECIFICATIONS.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

thanks Tim. we are looking at that next. think it might be the eco system. think it may not be shutting off when I punch it. you have been some help I hope. going to bed now. will let you know what we find when the shop gets back to me.

please do.

thanks

tims auto repair