Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Had to replace my alternator now my truck cranks up but will…

Had to replace my...

Had to replace my alternator now my truck cranks up but will not stay cranked

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Full tank of gas and I'm not sure about the spark plugs I just know that when I turn it over it idles up but then shuts off and I can't give it any gas from the peddle

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2007 1500 5.7 hemi*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I have done is put the alternator on and a new battery but I was going to fix it myself but didn't know the problem I was trying to find it had more than one fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes could it be the EPG valve

2/28/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

what is the security light doing ? flashing , steady on or goes out when you insert key to on or start position ?

if you keep it rev it up will it stay running ?

do you have dodge capable scanner ?

Did you mean EGR valve , there is no EPG valve ?

what is mileage on it now ?

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Security light goes off when key is switched on, I can't keep it reved up cause I can't get any gas from the peddle, I don't have a scanner, yes I meant egr valve, mileage is 210,000, and I'm looking for most possible cause before I take it to a mechanic

ok sounds good , lets narrow down a little and i will tell you most possible causes ,since i do not have much to go on

First

1-Unplug maf sensor for me ,then start it ,does it stay running ?

2-Tuen Ignition switch from off to on position ,Then wait it for 60 seconds ( do hear the throttle body plate move,usually u hear a buzz from tb body )

3- then press gas pedal all the way down then release

4- Next turn ignition switch back to OFF ,wait 60 secs ,then start it ,does it start and idle or the same

let me know

one more things all battery cables are tight , from batter to alternator ,check ,wiggle them make sure not movement ,if have not done that already

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I'm back at work now when I get home I will check these things out and let you know thanks bro

OK LETS DO the ignition reset tb body calibration first when u get home ,then move to the maf sensor

but i believe when replace alternator and battery the tb body lost calibration and resting should make it work if all was working prior

click on link to view pdf file FOR TB BODY RR AND RESET

SKIP THE STEP ON PRESSING GAS PEDAL ,NOT NECESSARY ON THIS ENGINE

if all was working prior

Then most possible causes

1- TB body lost calibration ,no more throttle ,It can keep idle , TB body itself

2- TB body and PCM wiring

3- I would like to recheck that my alternator connection from battery to alternator are tight ,recheck u work if u have not done that already -

ok sounds good, I will try to help you with it

read be low ho to get back in touch with me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey bro sorry to get back to you so late but where is the maf location

no worries man

you have an air temp sensor on this one not maf sensor

click on link to view location

2007 Dodge or Ram Truck RAM 1500 Truck 2WD

V8-5.7L VIN 2

Intake Air Temperature Sensor - Operation

• Vehicle
  • Powertrain Management
  • Sensors and Switches - Powertrain Management
  • Sensors and Switches - Computers and Control Systems
  • Air Temperature Sensor ( Ambient / Intake )
  • Description and Operation
  • Components
  • Intake Air Temperature Sensor - Operation

OPERATION

The IAT sensor provides an input voltage to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) indicating the density of the air entering the intake manifold based upon intake manifold temperature. At key-on, a 5-volt power circuit is supplied to the sensor from the PCM. The sensor is grounded at the PCM through a low-noise, sensor-return circuit.

The PCM uses this input to calculate the following:

- Injector pulse-width
- Adjustment of spark timing (to help prevent spark knock with high intake manifold air-charge temperatures)

The resistance values of the IAT sensor is the same as for the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor

You are very welcome :)

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat