Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It will start but when I put it into gear the idle drops and…

It will start but...

It will start but when I put it into gear the idle drops and it will stall.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

Alot of miles 3.3l

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2004 Dodge caravan.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I changed the glue pump about a year ago. I have also changed the TPS. I looked at air filter and it's clean.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sometimes it runs fine if I keep my foot on the gas to keep idle in right position. Other times it gets no power and shuts down

2/27/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started! Are you getting a check engine light on?

I took it to Auto zone to check it and they are not finding and codes.

ok if there is a light on and they arnt pulling any codes there re some more serious codes in there that only a dealer level scanner can pull from the system.

I was told it could be the mass air flow sensor. Could that be causing this problem.

if that was the case the scanner at the auto parts store would have been able to pull it, but that vehicle dosent have MAF sensor on it, you can try this procedure

clean the throttle body, there is special spray you need to use on that, you can get it at any auto parts store, I also recommend for the throttle body clean a tooth brush and a towel to wipe out the excess there should be no carbon residue visible when done. After that, unhook battery neg first then pos, touch both terminals together and let sit for 30 mins, re apply pos then neg cables and perform relearn, 10 mins idle no accessories on, 10 mins accessories on and I mean everything in the car that can turn on , then 10 mins in drive with accessories on, turn off and restart and test drive

Thanks I will try that tomorrow. Thank you so much.

your very welcome, let me know how it goes

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician