Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2011 dodge journey. Oil pump light had been coming on

2011 dodge journey....

2011 dodge journey. Oil pump light had been coming on periodically after getting oil changed then traction control locked up periodically then my son was driving and the lightening bolt came on and car died and will not restart

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the code? Did you check the fuses?

Don't have a code. Haven't checked fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a shop but they say motor is locked up. My brother is going to look at it this week just was trying to get ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The only other thing I had done to prior to all these issues was got brakes and rotors replaced on front

2/26/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Sorry to hear that your engine has locked up.

What questions did you you have for me?

Do you think it could be just an electrical issue or the motor need replaced

Thanks for the reply.

If the engine is locked and won't rotate, then it isn't likely to be an electrical issue.

The engine can fail this way because of 3 different things that I can think of.

One, would be coolant or a liquid gets into the cylinders and does a hydraulic lock on the cylinders so they won't rotate.

Two would be a mechanical failure in the transmission pump that would also prevent the engine from rotating.

Lastly, is the engine itself that has suffered a failure due to a spun bearing or lack of oil pressure.

So, the reason needs to be determined first and then you'll know which way you need to go. The first 2 are repairable, but the last one would mean engine replacement.

Hope that helps, if you need anything further just let me know.

When you are satisfied that I have answered your question, please provide a 5 star rating since this is how your expert is compensated for taking time out of their day to assist you. However, if you need any more info please reply back to me before you provide any rating, Thanks again!

Thanks I will let my brother know
You’re very welcome.
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician