Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Dodge 5.7 Magnum wagon. I've had an issue with…

Hello. I have a 2005...
Hello. I have a 2005 Dodge 5.7 Magnum wagon. I've had an issue with the check engine light and the ESP light I've reset them for the past year. Through research I found out that the 19 gallon tanks had a shut off problem after refueling. I've had that problem constantly. Dodge had the car 3 days for a two-and-a-half-hour job. And the engine light still comes on. And yesterday it shut off I had to hard set with a battery the code to go off. The car finally started I got home. It stumbles occasionally. After the light has been reset. It will stumble one time in about seven or eight miles. And then clears up for a day or two. I have replaced the oil pressure switch and the oil temp switch. They are both new. I can't locate a problem with the electrical connections. Since I have cleaned them all every one of them under the hood. Yesterday on the way home it was raining. The car shut off come back on shut off again and I coasted to where I had to reset the code. It immediately turn the code light off and I got home. The mechanics at Mopar won't tell me anything. What could the problem possibly be. Could it be the PCM. I have lost a week out of work. And I'll probably be fired tomorrow. I'm at wits end. Help please
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/18/2018
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Do you have the codes?

P0522
The only other thing I can think of is the first time the check engine light came on was when I replace the oil. Instead of 5w 20. I put in 5 W 30. From that point on the light came on. I replace the oil and filter with 5w 20 full synthetic. Castrol. I have always maintained the engine and transmission fluids. The other occasion I had was an oil leak at the transmission at the electrical connection plug I replace the plugs in the transmission drop the oil pan and replace transmission filter and fluid. It stopped the leak. I reset the codes. The lights were out. I drove the car for about 4 hours turned it off. When I start it again the check engine light started coming on. Recently I replaced the plugs with Platinum Autolite. It had champions and they did not look worn out or burnt. Great grey brown deposits. Normal conditions. After the snow we had I took the car to the carwash and had the undercoat wash thoroughly through high pressure at the no-touch car wash. After that codes were thrown left and right. I dried out everything and still I'm having the problem. I can't think of any other issues. Other than once in a while after about seven or eight miles the car will stumble slightly and it times cut off. Sometimes I can switch the key off remove the key after 2 or 3 minutes it will restart normally. But last night after coming home in the rain. It stumbled and stalled and would not start until I unhook the battery negative and positive touch the two battery connections together and held them for about 20 seconds. It cleared the codes I was able to drive home and it stumbled only one time. That was about 14 miles. I really can't think of anything else. Could it possibly be in the PCM. And if it is how do you reset the PCM in a Dodge. Is it similar to a Ford PCM.

Is the engine misfiring?

Only after seven or eight miles it will misfire slightly and I accelerate through it it cleans up slightly and then it runs fine. I have a Zurich zr8 OBD2 I'm checking the codes now and I'll be raced most of the code through it the engine light is off I have it on live data menu and I was just getting ready to go up the street to see how it's running the check engine light is off.

Was the oil pressure switch replaced with a genuine Dodge part?

it was $42

Have you checked oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?

No where would I check it at at the oil switch or is there a place on the Block that I can get to easily

You insert the gauge in the oil pressure switch port.

That isn't possible. Because of the location of the switch in front of the engine block behind the alternator. Is there another location to install an oil pressure gage

I do not know so I will open this up for other experts. Some one should be with you soon.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is ***** ***** expert.....

I understand what you are facing in trying to check the actual oil pressure with a gauge, but this is what the procedure is......

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - CHECKING ENGINE OIL PRESSURE

1. Remove oil pressure sending unit and install gauge assembly,
  2. Run engine until thermostat opens.
  3. Oil Pressure:
    • Curb Idle–25 kPa (4 psi) minimum
    • 3000 rpm–170 - 758 kPa (25 - 110 psi)
  4. If oil pressure is 0 at idle, shut off engine. Check for a clogged oil pick-up screen or a pressure relief valve stuck open.

In order to gain a bit more clearance to get the gauge installed you will need to move the alternator out of the way or whatever it is that is impeding you.

Unfortunately, there isn't a plan B for this test and it must be done at the same location as the pressure switch.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything further, thanks.

Hello.On my 2005 Dodge Hemi Magnum. FYI for you guys so if anyone else has his problem you might help them trace it out. I did my oil pressure test. And while installing a new oil pressure switch I cleaned the wires super clean and inspect them with a magnifying glass. From the factory they have an issue with wiring harness how they produce the wires to the socket. When they strip the wires back and pull them apart from the initial insulation there was a micro crack near where they pull the wires back to insert them. Evidently moisture and humidity gets to him and throws a false signal to the computer. That creates havoc so a little shrink wrap and tape and nylon zip tie solve the issue. Needless to say after a new fuel tank from the dealer which they installed free and only took 3 days for a two and a half hour job. Laugh out loud. I had to purchase two fuel pumps roughly $540 a $60 oil change and 16 spark plugs later the car is running great like new. Knock on wood my head that is.I went back by the dealer to inform them that there is an issue with the wiring harness on that year car. They were most appreciative for the input. If only and their wisdom at daimler-benz would only have added 2 inches of wire to the harness instead of trying to save $0.50 worth of wire a better shielding and located it a little differently on the front of the motor with possibly a heat shield would save Lots of people millions of headaches and bunches of money.I also did a hard reset by disconnecting the battery fastening the cables together for about 4 hours. All codes were dumped I didn't lose the radio settings and all the memory is good so far. Maybe if it were entered in the automotive manual under troubleshooting all these headaches maybe would not have occurred and costly mistakes made.You guys like other mechanics won't have to bang your head so much on the workbench to figure out what the issues are. So I hope this is enlightening, so you and others that may not have a similar problem.Thank you very much for your input but I figured it out sincerely Randy...

Thanks for the follow up.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician