Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Is it possible to swap a dodge ram 1500 2007 5.7l Hemi

Is it possible to...

Is it possible to swap a dodge ram 1500 2007 5.7l Hemi engine into a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 5.7l truck?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Its an automatic and the old engine in the 2005 isn't good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a garage on standby and would like to know if its possible to swap a 2007 5.7l hemi in2005 ram

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well the 2007 have mds and the 2005 doesn't, I would like to know if I need to change the computer and or any other parts

2/15/2018
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Can you post your vin number please so I can look this information up for you?

Sure one sec
1D7HU18217S182377
this is for the 2007 Hemi 5.7l I want to swap into my 2007 Ram 1500

And do you by chance have the vin for the 05?

i don't have the vin for the ram 1500 5.7l Hemi, its home in the truck
oh wait i think i have it stored in the office here
1N4AL21E08N533908 for the 2005 ram 1500 5.7l

That vin is for a nissan, not the ram truck.

Ahh then that is the wrong vin
i have the vin home at this moment I'm at work

The two can be swapped as far as fitment, you would have to swap the valve covers, But let me make sure on the rest of the electrical system. Be right back.

Ok yays that's awesome news. okay! :)
the only thing one worried about is the MDS in the 2007. as my 2005 carries no MDS

From all I see this swap is a go. As I said you will have to swap out the valve covers so the msd coils will bolt up, but I do not see any reason there would be any other parts need to be swapped out other then the intake.

Ahh i see so no ECU changes and the engine will work and run without MDS as they are not commands to activate it
I will take your final advice and order this engine for my truck. I really appreciate it. all the other 2005 models are higher milage and i found on that's 82k 2007 which is pretty sweet as its a long block. thank you and have a wonderful night!

You have to use the ignition system for the truck the engine is going into. As long as you use all the parts from the old engine to the new one, you do not have to do any wire changing or ecu swapping. All you can use will be the long block itself, all the rest must come off of the old engine.

I am sorry I may have confused you. I was thinking the 05 was going into the 07, but you are going the other way, so no you can not use the msd set up, you have top swap the valve covers and use the ignition system that is in the truck now, not the one that comes on the engine.

Okay ill swap the 2005 valve covers on to the 2007
No ECU changes or wiring changes.
the 2007 Hemi will be swapped into the 2005 Ram 1500.

Then just put all the accessories on the 07 off of the 05 and you should be good to go.

Ahh thank you. i will do just that.

You will also have to swap out the timing cover and may have to swap the oil pan as well.

Ok, ill have all of this info presented to the mechanic, once there is no issues with changing the ECU then we're good to go.
do i need to remove the MDS lifters?

No. you can run it just the way it is.

Okay thank you so much. Have a wonderful night! :)

You are very welcome.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech