Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The truck needs to be plugged into a battery charger every…

The truck needs to...

The truck needs to be plugged into a battery charger every night or it wont turn over the next day. The batteries have been tested and I am told they are fine. It does fine starting all day but if it goes overnight, it doesn't start without being charged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

That has all been checked and cleaned.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

Someone mentioned that the alternator is fine as well. This is my husbands truck and he is out of town so I am at a loss of what to do.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Dodge?

2009 Diesel 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We had betteries checked, told they are fine. Cleaned the connections etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My first thought is alternator but someone mentioned that it cant be that if it is starting off and on all day and sometimes starts in the morning without being charged.

1/25/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

It sounds like there is a draw on the batteries as the vehicle sits turned off overnight

Would you like a test to help pinpoint the battery draw?

I am not with the truck right now as I was stranded this am and had to get a ride to work..but yes!
When my husband was home (he works out of town and is unreachable) he said something about the wires being smashed in door?? That doesn't make sense to me or feasible but I don't know much- hence me being here :)

To diagnose this condition, you are going to have to pinpoint what is drawing the battery down. To do this, you will need to disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery and put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw that will need to be diagnosed. To find out what circuit the battery draw is on, disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, you have found the circuit that the draw is on. From there we can pull a wiring diagram and check each individual component on that circuit and fix/replace the faulty item or component as needed.

If you use a voltmeter to do this, anything over 100ma is too much draw.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you. I will tell my brother who is going to look at truck later.

Your welcome! I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to rate.

Have a great day!

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician