Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I got another question about my dodge truck with the cummins…

hi again, I got another...
hi again, I got another question about my dodge truck with the cummins engine. I noticed the last few times I started it up to move it and let it run for a while, the voltmeter would be running around 13-14 volts then the engine would increase idle for a brief second or shorter and then the voltmeter would drop back to 12 volts sort of slowly and the gear selector indicator lights dim down then for a bit then it would do that half second idle increase like you tapped the accelerator then the volt meter would increase back to around 13. I had not seen anything so something like this before so I am wondering if the alternator is starting to go out or is this a dodge thing? let me know what you think
1/22/2018
bill
bill, dodge master tech

that is completely normal, especially when it's cold out and the engine is cold.

Remember Cummins DOES NOT use glow plugs to preheat the combustion chambers like many other diesels, they use air intake heater grids to preheat the incoming air, these draw 90 plus amps EACH and there are 2, which means there is a 180 amp plus "draw" on the charging system, so on a cold engine it's NORMAL for the grids to cycle on and off which will cause the charging system to draw "down" while they're on, (the reason they're cycled and NOT on full time) add that 180 plus amps to any other systems you're using and you'll get a "low" battery reading while they're on.

now being an 07 i'll bet there's a few updates to the engine computer, i do remember one that helped with this but it will never be completely eliminated, a trip to the dealer or any shop that can check and update the engine computer to verify you have the latest software would be worth the money (usually 1.0 hours labor)

bill
bill, dodge master tech
bill
bill
bill, dodge master tech