Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Steering column and heated seats fuse #5 in rear power

Steering column and heated...

Steering column and heated seats fuse #5 in rear power distribution center fuse box keeps popping even at a 60 amp

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Yes, its on the rear fuse box, fuse #5 i have the problem with though

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 Dodge?

Its a 2005 dodge magnum rt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Magnum yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the clockspring, chase down wiring, replaced fuses... i dont know what else can be an issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Steering column and heated seats do not work

1/22/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Make sure you are only installing the required amperage fuse.If a higher amp fuse is installed this can short out the wiring and cause it to melt when a short is detected.

This looks to be a 30 amp fuse if I am correct here.This fuse only feeds the heated seat control module.This can be due to a short in the heated seat control module needing to be replaced or one of the seat heater elements.In most cases, it is one of the elements in the seats needing to be replaced.Below is a diagram layout for this fuse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tot0kkc87lqydg/hsm-01-22.pdf?dl=0

Here is the heated seat side of the circuit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fm0ubuw27edff16/hs-01-22.pdf?dl=0

You will need to unplug each component from the heated seat module one at a time,install a new fuse and re check until you come across the component disconnected does not cause the fuse to blow.This would be the component needing replaced.

If the fuse still shorts out with all components unplugged from the seat module then the fault is in the seat module or wiring leading from the fuse to the seat module.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good deal I’ll start there.. my blinkers and anything connected to the steering column doesn’t work because of that fuse as well

Sounds good.If you need anything else let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hey Pete still no luck...

If you unplug all of the connections from the heated seat control module does the fuse still short out?

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it still shorts out
Phone call session started

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician