Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1995 Dodge ram 2500, transfer case makes a rubbing or dry…

1995 Dodge ram 2500...

1995 Dodge ram 2500, transfer case makes a rubbing or dry bearing noise in 2 wd but goes away in 4 Hi as soon as I pull on the 4x4 shift, noice stops even before the 4 HI is engaged.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Transmission is was rebuilt a few years ago and works good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything external looks like it should but did not remove the t case or anything like that

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all i can think of

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Based on the description, this is definitely an internal transfer case issue. Most likely the shift collar or maybe a bearing. Bot***** *****ne is that you will need to pull the transfer case and open it up. Then inspect/repair it. OR find a remanufactured t case and just swap it out.

I hope this helps!

Chris

C

What are the symptoms of a broken snap ring on the rear shaft. Have you heard of the transfer case saver? Do you recommend it or is it just a regular snap ring?

A broken snap ring will allow the output shaft to "walk" or move and could be related to the noise and future T case damage. To be honest with you I have heard of it, but have no personal experience with that kit. But it may be worth trying in your case. Try it if it does not help, then out with the transfer case.

Chris

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

A+, fast and knowledgeable response

Thank you! ***** click on the link that says "accept" or "rate" the expert. I will get no credit unless you do that.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

That's it! Thank you!

Chris