Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a p 0840 code on my dodge caravan. I'm not getting…

Hi i have a...

Hi i have a p 0840 code on my dodge caravan. I'm not getting the signal to the relay and I traced it to the fuse panel and can not get a signal from the terminal coming from the fuse panel. The wring from there works when grounded. The fuses are good. I've switched them multiple times. The Temperature Guage is functional. The ac works. There are no other electrical problems that i know of. Is there a signal going to the fuse panel from the pcm? What color is it? Do you have any information about what is supposed to work from the fuse panel back?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

119000 miles no problem starting

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Caravan?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tested the fans and relay. I jumped a ground switch to make the fan work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want to fix it to clear the code properly.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/21/2018
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician

Hello, I am Randall. I am reviewing your question now and will reply shortly. You may see a popup for phone call request, That is not from me but rather the site. We can keep in this chat format or a call if you prefer.Call is an option not required. Thanks. Back shortly

Can I get the full VIN#?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1D4GP24R56B715886

checking something

I am going to opt out, I have nothing listed as a P0840 code on my end maybe another expert can help

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! Different expert here.

Do you still need help?

What wire are you checking for a signal to the relay?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need help diagnosing what could be the problem with the signal to the fan relay
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I gave the other guy the wrong code it it 0480

Sounds good, I will be happy to help. Right, the code is a P0480 code. Let me post some info for you

Here is the definition for this code.

P0480 Cooling Fan Relay 1 Control Circuit Malfunction

Possible Causes

CFAN relay has failed

CFAN relay control circuit is open, shorted to ground or shorted to voltage

CFAN relay ground circuit is open or has a high resistance condition

CFAN relay connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture)

PCM has failed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The relay and fans work fine. I'm to getting signal from the fuse panel. I assume the pcm signals to the fuse panel. I'm looking for information on the wires from the pcm to the fuse panel. How to identify them and how to test.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a wiring diagram?

You bet. One moment while I post it for you.

At the cooling fan relay, check the Orange/Red wire. It should have battery voltage at all times. The Dark Blue/Dark Green signal wire leaving the relay and it goes to the cooling fans. Check the Black/Dark Green wire for a good ground.

The Dark Blue/Violet is the control wire to the relay.

Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm looking for the brown violet wire. From the pcm to the ipm. It is not in the same harness as the orange red and blue violet wires

Which circuit is this wire for? I can provide you with a wiring diagram of that circuit

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's in the diagram that you sent. Is there information on the diagram that identifies the location?

I see, its on the top right of the diagram. YES, it shows the pins and connectors that this wire goes into both the PCM and the TIPM.

C3 pin 6 of the PCM

and

C3 pin 18 of the TIPM

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I found the wire at ipm. I should be able to find it at the pcm to diagnose. Thank you for your help.

You are most welcome. Have a great day!

Just a heads up sir, I wanted to let you know that I found a TSB for this condition or for this code you are getting.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE TSB

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm a bit confused. When I probe the brown violet wire behind the ipm the probe gives it ground and the fans come on. I asume the Ipm is working properly. I found the brown violet wire at the pcm in the location where it was described. But i get no signal and the ground does not complete the circuit to turn the fans on. I'm confused because i didn't expect the pcm and wiring to not work. I didn't see exactly where the wires run between the two.

Maybe there is an open or a break in the wiring between the PCM and TIPM. The wiring diagram does not show or explain in detail where that wire runs to and or from. You will need to trace it manually to figure out where exactly it is going and if there is an open or break in the wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again. I'll replace the pcm this week. I thought I was crazy until I found a short in the wire. The pcm still isn't sending a signal either. There is a really cheap junk yard nearby that will do an exchange on parts. I'm considering trying a used pcm. Any info you may have about replacing a used pcm would be cool also.

Hello! I do believe it will need to be programmed or configured once it is installed.

Sometimes you can find a computer re builder on line that is able to send you a PCM already programmed. Just a thought.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I reset the pcm and it works fine now.

Good morning!

Glad to hear it!!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician