Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500. 5.2 motor. Was driving along…

I have a 2001 dodge...
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500. 5.2 motor.
Was driving along and died. No spark. Replaced crank, cam sencers, plugs, wires, coil and distributor cap and bug. Started for 35 mins got me home and noe same issue.
What is it?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/20/2018
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Hi there. Does it start once the engine has cooled off?
No
Ive changed crank, cam, rotor, bug, plugs, wires, brandnew battery, cleaned the ground from computer to firewall.
I just tried to jump the asd relay by wrapping a wire around pin 85 only. I plugged the relay in. Turned ignition on. Then tried to ground out the wire of pin 85 to a ground. It sparked and blew a 30amp engine crank fuse. So i tried it again and it blew the same fuse again.
My understanding if u ground out the pin 85 that it will bypass the asd and make my engine run. But this case i touch it to a ground and it acts like pin 85 is a hot ...
Fuel pressure and injector pulse OK? If so, check pcm coil driver
Fuel pressure is great. How u check the pcm coil driver

sorry, got an emergency and need to log out, but don't worry; another expert will be with you shortly. Please d not respond until the other expert replies to you.

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! Different expert here.

Do you still need help?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Excellent!

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

I can in a few. But right now i cant talk

Ok, no problem. You can accept my phone call offer and call me when your ready to chat on the phone.

what do you think my problem is

I need more information from you to provide you with an answer.

Like

Does the TPS have a 5 volt reference going to it with the key on?

Does the ignition coil have power while cranking?

No power to ignition coil while cranking

Thank you for that information.

Are there any codes in the computer?

Heres what i did.
I put new crank sensor, new cam sensor, new distributor cap and rotor, new plugs , nee wires, new coil, new battery. It ran for about 37 miles. Then died and wont start back up. Its like i got to do it all over again.

The PCM might just be bad

I jumped the asd pin 85 by wrapping a wire only aroind it. Plugged the relay back in and turned the ignition on. Then tried grounding pin 85 like i was told and it sparked like it was a hot wire. Blew a cranking fuse. Tried it again blew the same fuse..

Does the fuse still blow when the ASD relay is put in place and when you crank it over?

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Please call me now