Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 99 dodge with the cummins turbo diesel. I live in…

Customer Question
Hey Tim, I have...

Hey Tim, I have a 99 dodge with the cummins turbo diesel. I live in Florida and it got to about 33 degrees the other night. The engine would not start. I suspected gelling so I waited for it to warm up. today is about 65 degrees and it still won't start. I just had the filter changed about a week ago and it was running fine until the cold night. I have a pressure gauge at the filter and it now is reading off scale (greater than 100 psi). I'm suspecting gelling has clogged the filter. Any advice? thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was the last time it was serviced?

It has about 285,000. It was just serviced about a week ago, and I put in two brand new batteries about two weeks ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Turbo?

99

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have an excellent mechanic and he serviced it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything. thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
1/20/2018
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are many possible causes for a no start condition and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. The problem could be fuel system related or it could be electrical.

I'm not sure that your pressure gauge is correct unless you've drastically modified the fuel supply system, as it shouldn't be able to create near 100 PSI. What does the gauge show with the truck at rest?

Have you checked for fault codes?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08