Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 dodge stratus 2.4 liter engine 4 cylinders.

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a 2006 dodge stratus 2.4 liter engine 4 cylinders. Last week while I was driving the check engine light came on then it was hesitant and kinda jumpy I pulled over turned the car off and back on and the car rode fine but still decided to get the engine light checked. The codes were for multiple engine misfire and cam position sensor. The next day all is well when the hubby went to sit in the car at work for lunch he turned it on and it sounded really bad so he turned it on. It wouldn't start for a while but shortly after started. He had to drive with both feet in order to make it home. He took the day off to change plugs spark plugs cam sensor ect. After changing those things we go to start it thinking the problem is fixed only to see when we started it the check engine light is flashing now (it wasn't b4) and its running really rough and wont stay started. We got the light checked and now its throwing multiple misfire again and a P2305 code. Your app says (from what I understand) its a short in "a" wire to the PCM. My question is if its a short in the wire how do I find out which one? If anyone has had this problem before please PLEASE can you tell me what to do. We've also changed the throttle position sensor and coil as well. We are kinda losing our minds trying to fix this. Please any help would be greatly appreciated! Also the coil isn't getting spark in numbers 2 and 3!

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

I bought a digital multimeter today and the coils arent getting any voltage... It blinks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Stratus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are trying (me and hubby) we changed the spark plugs, plugs, cam sensor throttle sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats its not starting now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
Also we changed the coil 2xs (before the digital multimeter) in case the coil was bad even though it was new.
the three wires from the coil connected to the plug (the plug that plugs into the coil) only one wire is getting voltage. The other 2 aren't
Checked fuses all are good. Even changed around the big grey ones to make sure they worked
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
Dodge Mechanic: camerontech, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic

hi there

im cam a licenced diagnostic tech

This code is pointing towards the pcm. every time i have seen this code, the pcm has held the voltage open to the coil and overheated it and i ahve had to replace the coil and pcm .

as for the wires..
there should only be 12volts at the one wire , this comes form your asd (auto shutdown relay) so if you have power at the drk green/light green wire then that part of the circuit is ok

the other two wires drk blue/tan and the blck/grey wire are the ground pulsed coil control from the pcm to the coil. these should both pulse a negative signal from the pcm when engine running or cranking

if they are not then then one of these wires could be shorted to ground or the pcm is faulty

unplug the pcm and these two wires should not have a ground signal, if either of them do then you have a shorted wire to ground will have to either chase the shorted wire or cut and run a new one

If these wires are ok then you will be looking a a faulty pcm and it will need to be replaced

just one note regarding the cam sensor code.
if the timing belt has jumped , this will store a cam sensor code.

unplugging the cam sensor will throw the pcm into base timing mode and the engine should smooth out and then the timing marks will need to be checked for a skipped belt

as for why you would have the p2305 code after the cam sensor replacement? i cant answer that, a bent coil terminal when plugging it back in can happen if forcing the plug into the coil.

so i would check the coil driver wires to the computer for shorts and the pcm problem as well as make sure the timing belt marks are one just in case you have two problems that are just a bad coincedence

hi there

how did your repair go?

if i can help you any further please let me know

please take a moment to rate me and i am always available for follow ups after rating

thanks and i appreciate positive ratings!

cam